ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Recommended/Best/Most Useful IDEs for Language *insert language*?

<< < (2/6) > >>

iphigenie:
I never had much luck with eclipse on windows :(

It's not really an IDE but I really like visual slickedit. It's quite pricey so I am a few versions behind as I can't justify the upgrade price for what I am doing at the moment. It works well even for perl/php knowing enough of the syntax that it can analyse your entire project and give you definitions/hints on your own classes and methods. Many editors do this for C/Java but few bother to do the same for perl/php/python (unless dedicated to one language)

f0dder:
Imho SlickEdit is way overpriced, especially since it falls somewhere inbetween "just a texteditor" and an IDE. Considering that Microsoft's Express Editions of Visual Studio are available for free, well... :-\

But okay, multiple language support for intellisense might come in handy.

wraith808:
I used to think that SlickEdit was overpriced too.  But then I really got into it and started using it.  And the time it saves for me as a contractor more than justifies the price.

Ehtyar:
Notepad++.

Ehtyar.

OGroeger:

For Perl & Python, nothing I tried came even close to Komodo IDE (http://www.activestate.com).  It's the only IDE for these languages that I tried that had any semblance of a modern debugger (ie., one like Visual Studio for C/++).  It was able to debug my Perl scripts running in IIS with essentially no configuration on my part.  Any other tool basically didn't aupport IIS debugging or required configuring the security/account that IIS ran under or other such headaches.  Also it integrates very nicely into FireFox for debugging client-side Javascript.  The big drawback to it is that it costs $300.  I've heard good things about Eclipse for Perl, python (and pretty much any language out there), but I've never even tried it, so I can''t say.  There's a free variant of Komodo (called Komodo Edit), but it doesn't have the debugger, which is what the main attraction of Komodo IDE was for me.

-mwb1100 (August 03, 2007, 09:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried the 30 days download of Komodo because i looked for an IDE for Python and PHP. What i didn't manage is the autocompletion of my own classes. I imported the source of MoinMoin (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/) as test, but the autocompletion for these imported classes didn't work. Only for the builtin set. As far as i understood one has to export the files somehow as autocompletion file and import this file once more?!  :-\

300$ sounds expensive on the first look, but i think that a good piece of software can be worth the price.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version