ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 ??

<< < (2/5) > >>

Curt:
Thanks, Darwin. I have been there, but didn't find the specific forum I was searching. But with all this BETA Community stuff, the old forum might not exist anymore, I guess.

BTW;
Yes, I live a few miles from Sweden, but we do have Microsoft in Denmark too...  ;)

Eóin:
As I understand it you need to keep v1.1 because there were breaking changes moving onto 2.0. Apparently 3.0 just adds additional functions to 2.0. So at it's core you are still re-using the 2.0 framework which probably explains why you saw 2.0 mentioned. I'll just quote where I'm getting this info-

The .NET Framework 3.0 adds new technologies to the .NET Framework 2.0, which makes the .NET Framework 3.0 a superset of the .NET Framework 2.0. You can think of .NET Framework 3.0 as an "additive" release to the .NET Framework 2.0, as contrasted with a generational release where software is revised across the board. (For example, the .NET Framework 2.0 was a generational release over the .NET Framework 1.0.)

Because .NET Framework 3.0 is an additive release and uses the core run-time components from .NET Framework 2.0, it is completely backward compatible with the earlier version. Your existing .NET Framework 2.0 based-applications will continue to run without any modifications and you can safely continue your investments using the technologies that shipped with .NET Framework 2.0.-http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480198.aspx#netfx30_topic3
--- End quote ---

In the end I'd guess the safe bet is to keep them all.

Renegade:
To echo some of the above - Keep them.

One of the main points to .NET is that you can keep them all on the same machine, and that they can peacefully co-exist. This is in direct opposition to how Java works (or doesn't work as the case may be).

.NET really is what Java wanted to be (or is going in that direction as Mono matures).

Lashiec:
.NET 3.0 installs 2.0 as well. 3.0 is simply the "Vista version", as it installs most of the things used to make native applications in Vista, including bonus files as those involved with XPS. You really need 1.1 around, and Windows Update (the site, not Automatic Updates) lists it as an update. In short, you need a high amount of thrash to actually do something, like testing those crappy little applications programmed by kids who were told by someone that .NET was the new Visual Basic (no offense here, Wordzilla :Thmbsup:).

If the .NET world was like Java... although I heard this does have its share of compatibility problems as well, but the proofs I saw were only lots of talking and no real evidence.

BTW, .NET 3.5 is coming.

Darwin:
Yes, I live a few miles from Sweden, but we do have Microsoft in Denmark too...   
--- End quote ---

:-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version