ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can I uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 ??

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
I did not uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 or 2.0 when I upgraded to .NET Framework 3.0 - I didn't dare!
Today I was updating Paint.NET, and at the end of the installation it said it would optimize to my XP's performance. This however took forever and ever, so I looked inside Process Explorer and was surprised to see that the handled Windows file was named something with ".NET Framework 2", and not "3" as I have. So I am wondering if I can uninstall .NET Framework 1.1 and 2.0 without risking too much?? And if I can: in what order?

:tellme:

Darwin:
Good question Curt! I eagerly await an answer myself as I've not been able to find anything via Google that answers it.

Wordzilla:
It doesn't hurt to keep previous versions of frameworks and I would be wary about removing something anything that is so integrated into the OS.

When loading an .NET app, the OS will first check if the matching version of the .NET framework that the app requires is there (e.g. 2.0 code => 2.0 framework), if not, it will ask a higher version of the framework to take over and execute the code (e.g. 2.0 code => 3.0 framework).

In theory, all Microsoft .NET framework are designed to be backward compatible. However from my experience, there are minute differences regarding how different versions of .net framework handles the same app. (The UI of my ancient release of Mobysaurus, which was built specifically for .NET 1.1, get rendered differently and distortedly  ;) in 2.0-only systems.)

So my suggestion is: if you have them, keep them all.

Curt:
... (The UI of my ancient release of Mobysaurus, which was built specifically for .NET 1.1, get rendered differently and distortedly  ;) in 2.0-only systems.)

So my suggestion is: if you have them, keep them all.
-Wordzilla (August 02, 2007, 03:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Very convincing, Wordzilla. Thanks!

---

But being here, I am bound to ask "YOU" for a link to the American Microsoft support forum (you know (I hope): "Ask the forum, and you might even get an answer from a MS support coworker"), because every time I've seeked it  I have been redirected to the Danish MS site, which cannot help in any way if I don't have a lot of money - and I've lost the direct link together with my previous PC, and cannot remember the right name of the forum.

:tellme:

Darwin:
Here is what you're looking for, Curt, However, I suspect that your ISP address is being "read" by the site and you are being directed to the Swedish language version that way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version