ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Article: A Woman's Primer for Building Her Own Computer

<< < (2/4) > >>

tomos:
I'd get much better value for money building one.
--- End quote ---
just a warning: my experience has been that this is *not* the case.  i would highly recommend you try to build a pc for one and only one reason: because you enjoy the process.  My belief is that currently building your own will cost you more in parts, is MUCH more risky in terms of something going wrong, and puts you in a much more precarious situation should your computer need repair.

in summary: building a pc on your own can be fun -- but that's the only reason you should try it.
-mouser (August 01, 2007, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

:'( now I'm scared again :P

Wordzilla:
there is such a smiley, i've seen it.  anyone have a link?[/spoiler]
-mouser (August 01, 2007, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Search!!  8)

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/esmileys/gen3/1Small/WHISTLE.GIF

tomos:
there is such a smiley, i've seen it.  anyone have a link?[/spoiler]
-Wordzilla (August 01, 2007, 12:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Search!!  8)

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/esmileys/gen3/1Small/WHISTLE.GIF-mouser (August 01, 2007, 12:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

oops didnt think of that

nite_monkey:
nah, building your own computer can be enjoyed more in that, you can pick out the exact parts you want, and end up making a computer that is several times better than one you buy that is pre-built.

Lashiec:
Good read. I might add that it's quite a good article, not only for women, but also for men, which I know by experience they're not exactly masters at computer assembly ;). It's even better if you compare it to those entries Jeff Atwood wrote in Coding Horror recently about assembling a computer for other coder (hah! I told you ;D), which was directed towards those glass-eyed men she mentions at the end (despite making some questionable component-choosing decisions)

The two first paragraphs remind me of a girl we helped buy a computer in another forum. Despite she didn't assemble the system by herself, she really wanted to have the best components for her money, and she made quite a good selection, despite being her first time doing that. With some fixes here and there, she ended up with a helluva computer (better than mine I might say :-[), and went to the shop to do the order. Well, the shopkeeper tried to do exactly what this "Molly" says in her article, dumbing down the system to something not that capable. But the girl stood firm, and was victorious :). Ah, she also wanted to play Oblivion in its full glory ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version