ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Article: A Woman's Primer for Building Her Own Computer

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
The computer world has known for a long time that girls are to be taken seriously. Games can be ridiculously fun and appeal to everyone. And it's not just about The Sims and Bejeweled; girls want to grab a lightsaber or don platemail and save the world from Oblivion just as much as boys do, so what's stopping us from building our own computers?

Instead, we buy the first computer our budget allows just to get away from condescending sales people, or we accept hand-me-down machines that have been configured by someone else and are slow, buggy, and dirty. In both cases, we aren't getting our money's worth.

I have always enjoyed playing video games with my brothers. We fought each other over who gets to use the computer next. Eventually, we had new computers replace old, and we each had a machine to ourselves. Even though I was the oldest, the computers were the boys' endeavors, and I was stuck with the hand-me-down of the hand-me-downs. And when they both left for college, I had the same tattered and torn computer, only even more out-of-date.

I guess I didn't really mind, but my family took notice, and one Christmas I got upgrades. A new case, a new hard drive--and by the time it was all unwrapped, I had a completely new computer!--all in separate parts. This was orchestrated by my best friend, who then walked me through assembling and setting up my amazing, tiny (it's the size of a shoe box) computer. He didn't do any of the work, since he knew I liked to do things at least once by myself. It was terrific, and once again, I had to fight my brothers over who got to use it first. This time, I had the upper hand. This computer was all mine.

This taught me how easy it is to do, and proved to me that I could handle the upgrades from then on out. I mean, I built the thing myself. Everything else is just a walk in the park.

Truthfully, it's not too hard to build a computer by yourself. It saves a lot of money over buying one off the shelf, and it's a lot of fun to do. Once you're done, you'll know exactly how your computer is configured and what hardware you've got, because you picked out the parts yourself.

--- End quote ---

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/430/A+Womans+Primer+for+Building+Her+Own+Computer+Part+I/

tomos:
something for me to consider...  :D

tomos:
it does make it sound very non-threatening for, well, anyone who doesnt really know about these things  :-\ *
I'm looking at buying a new pc but guess I'd get much better value for money building one.
But then you hear the scare stories about this not being compatibleö with that & having to uninstal those drivers before you add the other...

* an aside about smileys  :)second time today I'm looking for a different smiley.
I often looking for a whistling while looking innocent one.
Earlier I was looking for a - "[I need a scratch my head smiley here]"
 :) end of spoiler :)

mouser:
I'd get much better value for money building one.
--- End quote ---
just a warning: my experience has been that this is *not* the case.  i would highly recommend you try to build a pc for one and only one reason: because you enjoy the process.  My belief is that currently building your own will cost you more in parts, is MUCH more risky in terms of something going wrong, and puts you in a much more precarious situation should your computer need repair.

in summary: building a pc on your own can be fun -- but that's the only reason you should try it.

mouser:
smilie aside answersecond time today I'm looking for a different smiley. I often looking for a whistling while looking innocent one.
--- End quote ---
there is such a smiley, i've seen it.  anyone have a link?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version