ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

Consistent favourite folder access- wow- that was hard! Office->Directory Opus

<< < (2/3) > >>

dalchina:
Oops, sorry about that- thanks, mwb100. :D
Yes, a shame about Filebox extender not working in all cases, glad that was some help, mouser.
Will have a look at the script.

dalchina:
Comparison of Foldermenu script and Chameleon Folder

Summary: Chameleon Folder works the way I want with Directory Opus (except middle click invocation is not supported) and adds recent files & folders. :up:
Neither work properly with Winrar 'Extract to' (minor issue)

(Note: I have Directory Opus as my explorer replacement)

Similar behaviour
1. Both program's middle click menu works with Wordpad, Notepad, Foxit Reader, Word.
2. Neither program supports middle click in Dopus :-[
3. List of favourites from the system tray icon: both programs invoke a new Directory Opus lister, rather than changing the path in the current dialog box or pane.

Different behavour
1. Hotkey menu: Using the hotkey combination to show the faourites list:
Chameleon Folder - changes to the new location. Does not create a new lister. (Exception below)
-but-
Foldermenu always opens a new Directory Opus lister. Even if a lister pane is in focus, a new lister is invoked.
That's definitely not what I'm looking for, especially with Dopus. :down:

2. WinRar 'Extract to'
Chameleon Folder - Middle click doesn't work. Hotkey favourite creates a new Dopus lister!
Note: Help claims "Support of WinRar and WinZip Extract dialog boxes". :-[
-but-
Foldermenu - selecting a favourite immediately starts the extraction. So it integrates with 'Extract to' but it's not the best idea to start the extraction as soon as you click the favourite.

Other differences
Chameleon Folder adds
   recent files/folders - user limited length;
   filters;
   other ways of invoking the favourites list which can be differentiated between desktop, IE and explorer;
   backup configuration

Foldermenu script - free! Chameleon Folder is not.

tomos:
Dalchina; have you seen Flash Folder
here
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=9426.msg70304#msg70304
& here
http://zett42.de/flashfolder/?page_id=3

how does it (Chameleon) integrate with DOpus?
Is it that you call it up with a hotkey & then selected folder opens in opus?

dalchina:
Thanks, Tomos. I had a look at the site (http://zett42.de/flashfolder/?page_id=3) for Flash Folder, but maybe 42 isn't the answer to the universe and everything for me (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)-
a. it's beta- author warns appropriately
b. it's described as only adding the bar to (most) open/save dialogues.
c. The bar takes up extra screen real estate

I wanted integration with an explorer or DOpus window too, and pops up when I want the options.

Invoking Chameleon Folder in Dopus
Yes, you need to hit a key combination to display Chameleon's favourites menu in DOpus.
I've attached a screen shot Consistent favourite folder access- wow- that was hard! Office->Directory Opus the top left of Chameleon's favourites box is where the mouse pointer was when I hit WIN Z to have the Chameleon folder list displayed.

(Sadly DOpus seems different to most apps in the restrictions it places on middle click and right click options, and as I said, middle click in DOpus doesn't invoke Chameleon folders. Likewise the odd thing is some apps context entries do appear with DOpus's own when you right click in a blank DOpus pane, some don't. As I'm new to DOpus, there may be some way round that, but I can't see anything yet in preferences- will ask them a question- it's a complex thing 'under the hood'. But that's a different topic- sorry!).

tomos:
thanks for that preview Dalchina, looks good,
personally I'd prefer a shortcut key to a middle click but that just preferences
so I would be quite happy with that.

Okay, maybe you know all this:
There is a setting in DOpus
Settings > preferences > miscellaneous > windows integration >
which allows you to hide "Windows Items on context menu" -
if thats selected you just get Dopus approved list (which you can add to somewhere - but god knows where..)
ah, yes, under:
Settings > File Types > [choose, e.g. all files] > Edit > Context Menu Tab
but I've not used that much

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version