ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Dialog Extender

Consistent favourite folder access- wow- that was hard! Office->Directory Opus

(1/3) > >>

dalchina:
Hi, all I wanted was a consistent way of going to favourite folders with

Directory Opus, Foxit Reader, Office, explorer, wordpad and notepad,
(maybe Winrar is hard as one program mentions it).

It took me a couple of days looking around and trying about 12 programs to find a consistent colution (I think). A year or two back I started here, and have used Filebox Extender. But hey, it doesn't work with Wordpad or Foxit Reader - no extra buttons. Context menu extensions CFI Shelltoys and Regtoy have 'Goto Folder'- but these behave differently in different contexts; for example, Directory Opus allows Regtoy on right click on a blank pane area, but not Shelltoys.

The top two came out as
Chameleon Folder (www.neosofts.com) and Autodialogs (www.metaproducts.com).

Of these, inconsistency in displaying the extra button on Foxit Reader's open-save dialog box won the day for Chameleon.

One minor bug in Chameleon is in configuring the submenus and folders to display correctly- it seems to need one folder between submenus. (There's no separator).

Chameleon works with Directory Opus, Office, Wordpad, Notepad, Foxit Reader, Explorer, Winrar.

Programs I tried included:
Fast Folders, ABF Favourite folders, Folder Jockey, Shelltoys, Regtoy, Fast Directories, Quick Folders, PS Hot Folders, Access Folders. Folder Express. (DM2 admittely doesn't yet support Office).

Direct Folders for some reason did nothing, while Folder Express and Xfolderdialog installed but their trial had already expired.

Well, I hope that saves someone a lot of time!

David L.

mouser:
Thanks for the report David -- I was just about to recommend the now free Filebox Extender, but I see you reported trying that above and it not working.  So the report is quite useful  :up:

tomos:
filebox extender doesnt work with nero either BTW (for me anyway)

ak_:
I use (a slightly modified version of) this ahk script and i'm quite happy with it.

mwb1100:
Minor correction:  The correct link for Chameleon Folder is http://www.neosoft-tools.com/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version