ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Coding Snacks

easy to locate current working folder(s)... and file(s) i suppose

(1/5) > >>

nudone:
[my memory is going but i think there might be a util that has already been mentioned on the forum that might do something similar to what i'm about to describe. suggestions please...]

your working on a 'project', that is to say, a folder that contains several files of several varieties perhaps.

the project requires several apps to work with all the files.

i'd like a tool (or a method) that allows me to quickly locate the 'project' folder i'm working with regardless of the application i'm using.

in other words, when i use the open/save dialog box from inside an application, there will be an automatic or very quick way of navigating to the 'project' folder i'm currently working with.

i'm thinking along these lines of how the util would work:

1. i specify my current project folder inside the util. the util stores the path to the folder.

2. ANY program i then use whilst working on the project has an auto or single button click method of navigating to the project folder when i open or save files.

the important part is the number of clicks required to get to the project folder. i'm thinking a single click would be about right - the idea is to cut out all the laborious navigation.

i think it might be possible to do what i'm asking with a dialog box extender - it wouldn't do the automatic part of finding the project folder but i can accept that. in this case, which file box extender would provide the least amount of clicks to set up the project folder and then retrieve it?

ta

edit:

i'm going to try to get in the habit of using 'dialogmate2' as this should cover what i want.

app103:
Unless you are running Vista, FileBox Extender is pretty simple to use and will accomplish what you want to do.

It adds a little heart to the titlebar of the dialog, that when you click it, you get a menu.

All you have to is navigate to the folder once...then activate the menu and click the option at the bottom of the menu to add that folder, then select your file you wanted to open.

Next time you want to navigate to that folder, even in Explorer, you just click the heart and it will be in the list.

This is one application I don't think I could live without, just because of this feature, alone. But it has some other useful ones too.

nudone:
right, i think i'll try that then. dialogmate 2 doesn't have the 'add' feature direct from the menu. thanks for the suggestion.

i bought 'file-ex 3' a while back but stopped using it because i think it slowed the open/save dialog window opening (maybe i imagined it) so i could have just used that for the task. i shall try filebox extender (again) as it's probably simple enough for the job.

nudone:
now using filebox extentender - perfect!

thanks again, app.

justice:
Beta2 works on vista: http://www.hyperionics.com/downloads/beta/FbxVista32bit-Beta2.zip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version