ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

<< < (2/4) > >>

cranioscopical:
Before You Ask
Before asking a technical question by e-mail. or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:
1. Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
2. Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
3. Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
4. Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
5. Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
6. Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
7. If you're a programmer, try to find an answer by reading the source code.
--- End quote ---

How do I do that?

Wordzilla:
How do I do that?
-cranioscopical (July 31, 2007, 08:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D ;D ;D ;D

justice:
I commend the author of the 32 page guide for his patience and dedication but feel he would have felt better to use the hours volunteering for a charity.
In my view it's a 32 page guide on how inferior he sees other human beings and his/her inability to respect them on a similar level as themselves. Tell people how to ask questions, how condescending.

Lashiec:
Ah, now I recognize this "guide". It was posted a few months ago in another forum which, incidentally, is plagued by newbies asking everything, though in this case, the site itself is full of FAQs. Anyway, a guy looking for advice is not going to read a 32 page guide, despite it's well written or not, at least not those ones jumping with questions (read: newbies or more precisely, n00bs). OK, enough bashing ;D

app103:
How to answer those questions the helpful way.  ;)

In my opinion, this link is more important than the one on asking questions.

While this page is more about explaining things to someone that has very little computer experience, a lot of the concepts still apply to other situations when you are helping people, such as remembering things like...

Nobody is born knowing this stuff.

--- End quote ---

Beginners face a language problem: they can't ask questions because they don't know what the words mean, they can't know what the words mean until they can successfully use the system, and they can't successfully use the system because they can't ask questions.
--- End quote ---

You are the voice of authority. Your words can wound.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version