ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best search and replace software discussion

<< < (8/10) > >>

Ehtyar:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/ is a very good beginners guide, though watch yourself for all the shameless PowerGrep plugs. Also, if anyone has a nice free regex composer, I'd really like to hear about it.

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/ is a very good beginners guide, though watch yourself for all the shameless PowerGrep plugs. Also, if anyone has a nice free regex composer, I'd really like to hear about it.

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (September 30, 2008, 02:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Believe it or not I found that site right after I posted. Actually, though, I don't code at all - I am looking mostly for enough to perform Regex searches, and/or script writing.

Thanks!

Jim

Ehtyar:
The tutorial isn't specifically for developers...
If you're using regex in scripting, then I'll assume you're using Perl and point you here for a quick primer, and here & here for a more complete reference.

Ehtyar.

rjbull:
rjbull - it's an auto-link to ehtyar's post - the new forum software adds it to quoted posts, rather than duplicating pictures and attachments everytime a post is quoted.
-Darwin (September 29, 2008, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks...  It only appeared when I used quote-reply, so makes sense that far, but it isn't obvious.

rjbull:
gotta learn me some Regex! [...] Any decent learning resources?
-J-Mac (September 30, 2008, 12:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

I got started with the succinct explanation in a book, The AWK Programming Language, by Aho, Kernighan and Weinberger, published by Addison-Wesley.

There's also the following freeware from SilverAge Software, makers of Handy File Find and Replace:

Regular Expression Laboratory - FREEWARE !

Regular Expression Laboratory is an assistant simple to use tool to help you learn and prepare regular expressions.

If you are a developer or just concerned with text processing tasks, the Regular Expression Laboratory is a tool that you need. In fact, you felt that you need a program like this but could not formalize your needs. We have done this job for you. Now you can construct your regular expressions with much ease and test them by applying to an arbitrary text.

Regular Expression Laboratory support the incredible size of a stored regular expression: 2MB!

--- End quote ---

I'd hate to face a regular expression 2 Mb in size   :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version