ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anyone actually use windows system restore if so,does it work.

<< < (5/9) > >>

Darwin:
Ehtyar and Carol are right - registry cleaners, even if used VERY carefully, tend to mess things up. I find that the ONLY registry cleaning that I can do without something goig pear-shaped is MRU's, history, start menu shortcuts, and general shortcuts. I get anymore cheeky than that and I can guarantee that something will have to be reinstalled and reactivated. 

anrika411:
It's the best feature of XP.

biox:
It's the best feature of XP.
-anrika411 (August 18, 2007, 10:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Care to expand on this a bit?

terrawarra:
I stopped using XP system restore many moons ago,.. I've been using the excellent freebie "ERUNT" since then.  It's quick, clean, simple to use and works every time.  It's saved my PC's life many times.  I make it a habit of creating a restore point almost every day,.. it may sound a little "over the top" but it works for me.  I usually delete any restore points more than a few weeks old to avoid cluttering up the system with junk.

tomos:
System Restore backs up system files of certain extensions (.exe, .dll, etc.), with the exception of files in My Documents folders, and saves them in a large compressed block for later recovery and use. It backs up the registry and most drivers. It does not back up or restore user data-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore
--- End quote ---

Windows XP periodically records a snapshot of your computer. These snapshots are called restore points. Windows XP also creates restore points at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed) or you can create and name your own restore points at any time. If you’ve installed a program that has made your computer unstable, you can open system restore, choose a restore point, and return your computer to its previous stable state.-http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/systemrestore.mspx
--- End quote ---

now does that mean a system restore from 2 weeks ago remove all the changes you've made to a system since -
i.e. any programmes installed in those 2 weeks get "uninstalled" ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version