ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > JGPaiva's GridMove and Ahk Tools

GridMove: Grids Here

<< < (8/28) > >>

jgpaiva:
For anyone who's wondering what GridStack is, here's the explanation:
GridStack is a great app that Xitsa created, to make your own grids for GridMove, using simpler ways to define them.
You can download and read more about it here.

Xitsa: I think the grids on the previous posts are a bit different from yours, since they use 2/3 of the screen on grid element '1'.

Xitsa:
Xitsa: I think the grids on the previous posts are a bit different from yours, since they use 2/3 of the screen on grid element '1'.
-jgpaiva (August 31, 2008, 05:53 AM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe, my main aim was to show ease of changing layouts and give some examples.
GridStack is useful for quick creating of simple layouts, I know about it's limitations and some of them where introduced specially to simplify input language.
For example, yoda_97's grid cannot be get quick, it needs at least four steps:

* Creating stack for triggers
* Creating stack for three part–like layout
* Creating stack for two part–like layout
* Combining triggers windows with corresponding layoutsBut at least with gridstack one can quickly get screen coordinates :)
In principle, I can develop a more complex language that could describe grids where triggers layout different from window layout, but perhaps writing in it will be more cumbersome than using aforesaid procedure.

Roenie:
Grid for 30" monitors
I use a 30" monitor (2560x1600) and I've created an "advanced" grid for my personal use and anyone else who likes it. (If you do a lot of web browsing, you probably will.) It's made for 30" monitors and I have not tested it on smaller ones or lower resolutions. You could probably make that work if you wanted to because most are variables, not static values, but there isn't much of a point in doing so. (Some areas would become too small for practical use.)

Grid File: Roenie - 2x2 with Sidebar Reverse.grid

Hot spots
Instead of making the trigger areas the same as the grid areas, I used large trigger hot spots. (A bit like EdgeGrid, but that was impractical for me.) Because of the trigger hot spots, you can:

-Exit drop-zone mode without moving the window, just by releasing the mouse button anywhere outside of the hot spots.
-Move your mouse around inbetween the hotspots in drop-zone mode, without triggering the transparent overlay.
-Have a grid layout that gives you a better idea of where the window positions really are.
-Use smaller areas seperately or together as one larger area.

Columns
The grid has 3 columns. Two wide, one narrow. From right to left, they are vertically subdivided as follows (on a 2560x1600 monitor):

Column 1 - right) Two windows, browser-sized at 1024x800 because many websites are created with 1024x768 monitors in mind (or smaller). This happens to be a pretty decent size for other window types too.

Column 2 - middle) Same as 1, making it 4 main windows (2 by 2). The larger the area the larger the hotspot, so these 4 main areas are easy to identify.

Column 3 - left) Narrower than the other two, this is the remaining horizontal space (512 W x 1600 H) and is vertically divided into two areas of size 512 x 800. The bottom one of these is then divided into two narrow list-shaped areas for winamp and/or instant messenger buddy lists.

Versatility
I tried to make it versatile. All three columns have a horizontal trigger bar at the top that maximizes the window to that column, vertically. Column 3 also has one of these horizontal trigger bars in the middle, it allows you to use the two list-shaped areas as one wider area. In short, column 3 can be used as one area, two areas, or three, depending on the hotspots you use.

There's also a hot spot in either bottom corner of the screen. They can be used to "maximize" a window to make it span the left 2 columns or the right 2 columns (covering all 4 main screens). This can be used for e.g. a large photoshop window and then you still have the third column available for other (browser) windows.

In closing
Let me know if you like this grid.

GridMove rules! :Thmbsup:
(Wouldn't it be nice if we could just drag the gridlines around, instead of editing a .grid file? It would make the program a helluva lot more adaptable & versatile.)

Edit: fixed grid download link

jgpaiva:
Hi Roenie!!
Welcome to DC, and what a great first post :D
I really like the concept of your grid, and how it works for you, you've made a great job there ;)

The bad news for the rest of the people is that it really only works on a huge screen like Roenie, I've tried it on my 20' (1680x1050), and it doesn't look as good as in yours since some of the areas are fixed-width and fixed-location, to look just right on a big screen.

I'm sure that others with a screen like yours will love this grid!  :Thmbsup:

(Wouldn't it be nice if we could just drag the gridlines around, instead of editing a .grid file? It would make the program a helluva lot more adaptable & versatile.)
-Roenie (September 01, 2008, 02:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, I'm going through the process of creating a grid creator, but I think it wouldn't still be very useful in your case, because it won't allow you to create triggers with sizes different from the grid elements. (which is quite an advanced feature, congrats for figuring that out ;) ).

Roenie:
Thanks for your kind response and your great program.

The bad news for the rest of the people is that it really only works on a huge screen like Roenie, I've tried it on my 20' (1680x1050), and it doesn't look as good as in yours since some of the areas are fixed-width and fixed-location, to look just right on a big screen.
--- End quote ---

Because a 30" dwarfs anything smaller, 24" screens included, it wouldn't make sense to try my grid on that anyway. There would be too many areas. You would want fewer areas so that they're big enough. So I could have made my life easier and just used absolute values only. I realized this when I was almost done, at which point I stopped bothering to use variables only.

Actually, I'm going through the process of creating a grid creator, but I think it wouldn't still be very useful in your case, because it won't allow you to create triggers with sizes different from the grid elements.
--- End quote ---

Yea I was thinking the same thing... but it would make the initial creation of the basic grid much quicker. (I don't consider GridStack very easy as it took me a while to understand it, even though I understand java style syntax.) The worst part about creating a grid from scratch is to calculate the dividers you need for screen width and height , to set each area's borders.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to seperate the grid zones and the trigger zones in the .grid file, so that they really are two seperate sections in the file? Then use one line (e.g. "Tag=") to link a grid zone to its trigger zone. Then it would be easier to create trigger zones as well as grid zones using a tool. You can just link them later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version