ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Converting DRM protected music files: software recommendations

<< < (4/7) > >>

Carol Haynes:
The conditions of GAotD are "No free upgrades"

BigJim:
Yes. Thanks, Carol. That's why I stopped watching that site. Worse is that you can't reinstall the app or use it elsewhere except "on the day". But I was asking about after the $9 upgrade.

Darwin:
Heh, heh - that was my point - once you've paid your $9, I presume that the product is licenced in your name and you should thus be entitled to any free updates that are released and to support as well.

J-Mac:
I was just looking at this over at GAOTD and searched here to see if there were any comments. Doesn’t look like anyone here has actually tried it yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot. I have this damn .wmv file that I purchased for $30 that is DRM protected - needs a password in order to watch it. I watched about half of it and since then have never been able to watch it again. Won't take the password anymore. Writing to the web site was fruitless - no response. I did find a post elsewhere that had a link to an obscure page on that site that has the answer though: Uninstall WMP, run a cleaner to get all the bits off, then install the original WMP9 and don’t update it. Apparently that is the one and only version it will play on! Bull.

Only problem with this Daniusoft application is that I hate installing programs like this just to check them out because they sometimes install filters and codecs that interfere with other burning programs I use currently. Oh well -- guess it can't hurt too much!   :o ;)

Thanks Curt!

Jim

Dormouse:
That's why I stopped watching that site. Worse is that you can't reinstall the app or use it elsewhere except "on the day". -BigJim (November 20, 2008, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, you may have missed some programs that you would want. GAOTD's terms are constant, but not all vendors want to enforce them. Liquid Story Binder was explicitly made available upgrades and all. Many programs are gvien codes that can be used to install the programs any time. Some vendors explicitly say they can be used for commercial purposes. The actual situation varies from program to program and vendor to vendor and, if you are interested, you have to look at the individual details.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version