ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP or Vista user — take the poll!

<< < (27/29) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Guess what - fired up the Win2k machine after I posted above and the monitor is shot (looks like something dropped on it...). It works but there's a big, inky black spider web in the upper right hand corner extenging into the middle of the screen
-Darwin (October 07, 2007, 10:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Eek! 

On the off chance... this is a tube monitor, right?  Does it have a degauss button?

Sometimes a strong magnetic field in close proximity will cause CRTs to display large black purplish bruises on one or another edge.  Degaussing it would be a free fix, if it works.

If you live in the Atlanta area, I have two ancient but still working 21" CRT monitors, just taking up space in my server room.  Yours for the takin'.

Darwin:
Thanks for the tip, Ralf, but sadly it's a notebook with an LCD  :(

Great Scott! You're in the Atlanta region? My wife is from Savannah but went to school in Atlanta and still has family there. We live on Vancouver Island in Canada now, so several thousand kilometres away. Thank you very much for the offer, though!

f0dder:
On the off chance... this is a tube monitor, right?  Does it have a degauss button?

Sometimes a strong magnetic field in close proximity will cause CRTs to display large black purplish bruises on one or another edge.  Degaussing it would be a free fix, if it works.
-Ralf Maximus (October 30, 2007, 02:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tube monitors (the last few I had before going TFT) tended to de-gauss by themselves on power-on, so a de-gauss button probably wouldn't have helped much... there's some stronger de/re-whatever-magnetizing devices that can be used in the severe cases, my mum got our TV fixed back several years ago with one... that was back when I thought it was fun to play with magnets and went all "ooooh, the news reporter is purple :D".

Ralf Maximus:
Thanks for the tip, Ralf, but sadly it's a notebook with an LCD  :(
-Darwin (October 30, 2007, 08:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

DANGER!  DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, DEGAUSS THE LCD PANEL.

Great Scott! You're in the Atlanta region? My wife is from Savannah but went to school in Atlanta and still has family there. We live on Vancouver Island in Canada now, so several thousand kilometres away. Thank you very much for the offer, though!

--- End quote ---

Next time you come to visit family, let me know.  We'll go have a pint, I'll take you to Microcenter, and make you buy really expensive toys your wife will *love*.

:-)

Ralf Maximus:
Tube monitors (the last few I had before going TFT) tended to de-gauss by themselves on power-on...
-f0dder (October 31, 2007, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah!  Mystery solved, albeit 5+ years late.

I once had this 20" tube monitor, big as a beach-ball.  Upon power-on it would make this god-awful mmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMMM (wait for it) GABUNG!!!  noise.  That was probably its auto-degausser, but at the time I thought it was about to kill me.

Another clue I should have noticed: All my paperclips would fly up out of the desk drawer and attach themselves to the glass.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version