ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP or Vista user — take the poll!

<< < (24/29) > >>

tomos:
... with a defragmenter such as PerfectDisc which organises your files on the basis of how often they change even defragmenting a whole disc effectively becomes only defragmenting a few files over a period of time as the files that don't change are blocked together. This effectively means that incremental backups will be larger than if you didn't defrag but the increase in size won't be huge or counter productive.-Carol Haynes (October 04, 2007, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

now that sound like a reason to have a defragmenter that costs money

Carol Haynes:
Then all you have to do is to remember to defrag regularly (I don't like using schedules because it always does things when you least want it) and to do backups regularly (for the same reason)! The last thing I want is something trying to kick in when I am burning a CD ROM or I am doing something that involves processing huge files that takes a couple of hours anyway.

I suppose I should use a scheduled notice to remind me!

mwang:
Defragmenting individual files or just groups of files rather than whole discs. That is moving a single file or group of files on your hard disc so that the data is stored in a single contiguous block.-Carol Haynes (October 04, 2007, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Got it. Thanks. I knew that, but I misunderstood your statement about "TrueImage will still produce reasonable incremental or differential backups" after file defrag. operation. I thought you suggested there's a kind of file defrag. that wouldn't move sectors (of a file) around, and I wondered how that's possible. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

mitzevo:
I think I will stay on XP (and lower, if wanted/need) for a another year or 2. I've read so much bad stuff about vista...

* requires some pretty high end hardware - some thing i don't have - to get any decent performance
* sp1 is not out yet, and from what i hear, it's not that good and doesnt address most problems people have experienced
* windows xp is actually pretty solid, well tweaked ofcourse
some reads:

* What's wrong with Microsoft Windows Vista?
* A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection
Since we are advancing into the future (as usual), computers are getting more advanced (surprise) which probably does mean less choice/privacy/control.. i dont expect "windows 7" to be any less restrictive as vista - i think hope will be left with free os's.

Josh:
Restrictive? People keep talking about this. I have not once had a problem playing any content on my computer. No problems with copy protection, no problems with DRM, nothing. So if someone who HAS HAD THESE PROBLEMS, not read about them, could post, I would love to hear what exactly is going on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version