ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

XP or Vista user — take the poll!

<< < (25/29) > >>

Ralf Maximus:
Josh: Me, me, me.

I set up a test machine (Dell Dimension 3000, 512M RAM) with Vista so I could evaluate its wonderfulness. 

The first thing I had trouble with was networking.  After I got the durn thing to recognize my network (the ONLY machine so far to have this problem) it would stay connected for a few hours then drop off mysteriously.  Never did resolve that issue.

Next, I set the machine to hibernate after six hours of inactivity.  The next day, the machine would not restore from hibernation; I had to do a cold boot to get it back.

Then I tried installing a bunch of apps to get the machine ready for testing.  The most notable crash came with VS6; it started to install and then *whiff*.  Nothing.

I spoke with a friend who'd played with Vista and he suggested turning DRM off.  I did this, and VS6 (SP5) installed.  But compiling an app caused the same *whiff* then nothing effect; VS was gone from the task manager like it never existed.

The next thing I tried was FDISK.  That seemed to erase Vista completely from the harddrive and my troubles were over.

Granted, I could probably have figured out all the secret magical incantations necessary to make it behave, but why on earth should that be necessary?  If I wanted to relearn an operating system I'd be powering through Linux right now.

Josh:
Now, you say turn drm off. How exactly do you turn it off? I dont see a "DRM" service or anything similar. DRM is for MEDIA (Music, Video), not applications.

VS6 is also outdated, no longer supported, and this is probably a good reason that it doesnt work in Vista.

jgpaiva:
For a specific example of DRM problems, see this post on our forum, by a known user which couldn't get his genuine movie to play on WMP. (i think it was on XP, tough)

Carol Haynes:
VS6 is still used by many coders - can they not use Vista at all without spending a fortune?

I agree about some of the issues though - FDISK should not be used with XP or Vista - neither OS (and no OS based on NTFS) is designed to use FDISK. There are other tools that support large hard discs and are properly compatible with current filesystems.

mitzevo:
Carol i think the fdisk part was Ralf Maximus's solution to all the problems ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version