ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Am I the only one who hates smooth scrolling?

<< < (3/6) > >>

alxwz:
Sorry, I cannot explain smooth scrolling better than that: When you put a page in motion, it won't stop right after you stop scrolling, but keep scrolling for a while (like due to inertia). I can't find better English words for that.

Completely, totally brain-dead idea. Sucks big time. In every app.

Curt, I think what you describe is called auto-scrolling. I don't like it either, but other than with smooth scrolling, I can see some usefulness in it.

Curt:
Very well explained  ;)  - I tried it but didn't like it.

If auto-scroll is what I explained, then auto-scroll by far is the best navigation metode for your hand (I suffer from carpal tunnel - in Danish called   Mouse-arm)!

lanux128:
though not the first but among the firsts to be disabled, it's even worse on Firefox.. :)

btw Curt, another reference for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smooth_scrolling

alxwz:
lanux128, thanks, the link you gave made me realize for the first time what the real idea behind smooth scrolling seems to be. Funny thing is that I never noticed this effect, I only ever noticed the inability-to-stop-when-and-where-I-want-it effect (which is probably only a side effect, but a strong one).
Still don't like it, though.

Hirudin:
I haven't tried the newest logitech mouse with the fancy button wheel
--- End quote ---
I had that mouse (the MX-Revolution) for about a month. Then I got a little pissed that the frigging Logitech drivers kept losing my custom button assignments and dropped it from a little too high, it broke.

The hardware is awesome! A HUGE improvement. But the software sucks. I've found with Logitech, you better be happy with what you get in the box because there'll only be like, 3 updates, ever.

Back OT:
I've never been a fan of smooth scrolling either. But I've also barely given it a chance. To me, it's all about the speed. When I scroll, I want the screen to change, instantly.
Lashiec, I'll give it another chance...
-Initial thought: it's a little nicer looking, but a little slower.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version