ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

imaging & partitioning queries

<< < (7/8) > >>

tomos:
any ideas on the size to make the partition (for the paging file)

Carol Haynes:
Depends how much memory you have. I would say you want the page file about 1.5 x the memory size you have (up to a maximum of 3Gb) so if you make a partition of 3.5 Gb it should be adequate for all eventualities - but strictly it just needs to be large enough to hold the file. I do find Windows XP complains that your disc is nearly full if you make the partition exactly the same size at the pagefile (you get constant balloon notes popping up in the system tray). You can either disable 'disk full' notifications or just leave a bit of spare space on the partition.

To work out page size multiply memory (in Gb) by 1024 to get the size in megabytes (which you need to calculate the pagefile size). You are best to make the pagefile a fixed size (set minimum and maximum to the same size) then it saves Windows having to bother shrinking and expanding the file as required.

urlwolf:
Also, I have read somewhere that having a partition 100% full is bad.
That's the case for my music partition. Any idea why this is bad? Should I sacrifice some music for better overall performance?

Thanks

Carol Haynes:
It's bad if you want to put anything else on there ;)

The main reason you don't want totally full partitions is that you can't defrag them. If you are simply storing data and don't need to add anything or defrag the partition it isn't a problem.

The main irritation are the blasted balloon pupus that tell you every time you start your system.

tomos:
you could also try one of the free Open Source partitioning and imaging Solutions like gparted http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ (only for partitioning) or parted magic http://partedmagic.com/ (does imaging too) -- you'll need to dowload (about 50mb, I think) and burn them on a CD. Gparted is easy to use and reliable. I must admit that I have never used the Open source imaging solutions though (only on parted magic), only the partitioning one.-Armando (August 16, 2007, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used that [sorry! EDIT: Parted Magic] for the partitioning
with the help of this tutorial
it was very easy

[unfortunately I cant say the same for the windows install, but thats another story that will hopefully be sorted out when nlite has finished preparing the xp + sp2 bootdisk]

EDIT: corrected link

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version