ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

imaging & partitioning queries

<< < (5/8) > >>

Armando:
BYW, there's also this free imaging utility, Self Image.

Restoring an image with it from a boot CD can be a bit more tricky though. You'd have to use BartPE or the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows .

patthecat:
If you use a TI9 bootable linux CD to just image/restore whole partitions or drives I would think that it would not matter what the OS is since it does a bit by bit image of what's on the drive and does not interact with windows at all if using the bootable CD.  Someone who knows please tell me if I'm incorrect.

It's when you install the TI9 on an OS say Win 2003 Server that the installer may say that the OS is not supported since they want you to use the TI9 Server version rather than the Home/Desktop version. In addition, the installed TI version has features such as individual file restore from a TI image, differential/incremental images - with TI9 these features are not available if using a TI9 bootable CD.

An OEM version of Acronis TrueImage 9 is available from "NothingButSoftware" for $10 + $5 shipping:

http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/Catalog_Type.asp?ProductCode=36864&ai=0

Note that TI 9 is not supported for Vista.
-mwb1100 (July 17, 2007, 04:32 PM)
--- End quote ---

Carol Haynes:
thanks people!
I have good article about fdisk & another one about win(XP) install
must read both to familiarize self with it all

I think I read that doing the partitioning during the windows xp install doesnt allow for
FAT32 (?) partitions which I was considering for paging file but thats probably not important
-tomos (August 17, 2007, 02:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

You won't be able to place paging files during install. Just leave enough space for the partition you want and once windows is installed create the partition manually. If you are using XP Pro click START and then right click on My Computer and select Manage (not sure how this works in the Home version as I have never used it).

Once in the management console choose "Disc Management" in the tree on the left and in the pane that opens on the right you will see your hard discs listed with patition details. In an unpartitioned area of disc right click and select New Partition and a wizard will guid you to build a partition. You can select size, format (NTFS, FAT32, FAT) and drive letter assignment.

An alternative way to start the Disk Management console is to START > RUN the type diskmgmt.msc and press return

tomos:
Once in the management console choose "Disc Management" in the tree on the left and in the pane that opens on the right you will see your hard discs listed with patition details. In an unpartitioned area of disc right click and select New Partition and a wizard will guid you to build a partition. You can select size, format (NTFS, FAT32, FAT) and drive letter assignment.

An alternative way to start the Disk Management console is to START > RUN the type diskmgmt.msc and press return-Carol
--- End quote ---
thanks Carol :)

ehh,
does it automatically become the paging file partition or how do I change that?

tomos:
Found it, always think of microsoft last somehow

How to move the paging file in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886/

and this a helpful read too:
How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314482

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version