ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

old software + dual core = ???

<< < (3/3)

Curt:
I have no idea, but I would think multi core machines would be a great plus at pc startup? I am right now thinking on EVEREST and Outlook which I used to have placed in Start. I was using a startup manager and had to give both Everest and Outlook a full minute each to start, before the next program could be launched - but if my PC is all calm these two programs will both cold-start in less than ten seconds! I imagine such behavior at startup improves a lot on multicore?

Curt:
Celeron? Ewww, handicapped cache :( (but cheap - we do like that). -f0dder (July 13, 2007, 10:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Can Celeron D's cache be improved, or do I have to get a new processor / motherboard / PC ??
 :tellme:

- mine is 3.33 GHz but slow !??

Lashiec:
Of course it can be improved... if you have a Intel-like lab at your house ;D

I'm afraid the only thing you can do is buy a new processor with a new motherboard as well. I think you don't need a new PC. Bah, until the Core 2 Duo, the entire Intel lineup of processors was terrible.

wreckedcarzz, lower GHz doesn't have to do anything with performance. The improvements in other areas make the dual cores more powerful than their single core counterparts (unless you bought a Pentium D, of course).

Carol Haynes:
If an app does have problems why not simply limit it to one core? Just change affinity in Task Manager by right clicking on the process.

f0dder:
If an app does have problems why not simply limit it to one core? Just change affinity in Task Manager by right clicking on the process.
-Carol Haynes
--- End quote ---
That's what I've been saying for a while :)

Curt: you can buy a non-celeron processor - depending on which board you have. If your machine is recent enough that you have a socket-775 you're pretty lucky, as upgrading the CPU will be easy. If you have one of the older systems, getting a (reasonably priced!) CPU might be hard, and otherwise you'd have to exchange motherboard, cpu, ram and possibly your graphics card as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version