ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Guy Tries Ubuntu

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
They do not have the bells and whistles of the MS products, but they are free. Free is a huge bell and whistle all on its own. Hell, it’s a brass band playing on the Fourth of July.
--- End quote ---

OMGROFLMAO!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Lashiec:
Disregard this, the poor guy got digged :P
-jgpaiva (July 15, 2007, 09:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite digged should I say... now I know what kind of article should I write if I create a blog ;)

Personally, I'm not sharing your opinions in the matter... these kind of switching experiences are starting to wear out, and they don't add too much to the Linux testing stories. If at least they took their time to test another Linux distros, it would be a bit more original (and possibly helpful), but everyone is restricting themselves to Ubuntu...

...unlike Zaine, now that was a truly interesting read. BTW, did you compile a list with the 10 reasons for not switching to Linux?

Edvard:
But it's APPROPRIATE for a Windows guy to try Ubuntu. It just goes to show how far Linux has come. (Did anyone notice how he's constantly comparing things to his Vista Icon?)

I do agree however, that some other distros might provide better reads...
Like say, a Windows guy testing SLACKWARE...
*evil laughter*

zridling:
Lashiec, I think the value of sharing switching experiences is that they confirm what we all know — we tend to stay with what's comfortable, what we've mastered, and what we like. And this is true in every part of our lives, not just relative to software or gadgets. How many people who drive sports cars would permanently switch to driving a truck? How often do you change the brand of razor you use? Change your favorite sports team? Or shoes? etc.

When someone does make the switch, I'm naturally curious why, i.e., maybe they know something I don't. If I try it and don't share their experience, then I know it didn't interest me. There's a lot of folks like me looking to jump off the Microsoft wagon and give something else a try. I figure after more than 20 years on Windows and DOS, I've earned my chops and deserve to look at another OS for a while. Ironically, my experiences so far has given me a greater appreciation of Windows in some ways.

I'm not done learning Linux yet. But give me another year and I'll be informed enough to write some reasons not to switch to Linux. So far, I can't come close to ten! ;-)

Lashiec:
Uhm, reading your post makes me realize that I've been a bit more aggressive than it was necessary in my response.

A switching experience is always interesting, whether is a SO or a GF (*ahem*). But I feel that to make a valuable contribution, not only for the other people interested in the experience, but also for your reputation as a blogger (in this case), a good written article is of more interest. The point I want to make is that you can't switch from Vista to Linux in 1 day and think you can pinpoint your view about the feeling of the latter compared to the former without almost no dwelling in the innards of Linux. Maybe for the casual users is more than enough, but for the power users, the experience is of not that much help, because of all the power inherent in any SO. I mean, I want a real good article about a switching experience, not a quick tour around.

In other words, I want Ars Technica and not SuperSite for Windows ;D

Even you seem to agree with me saying that you're not done learning Linux yet. And you've been with it quite some time compared to this guy. Of course, you don't stop learning something new, even about old things, never, but a time adapting yourself to the new situation is more than necessary in those cases.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version