ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Working with (display+format+restructure) big amount of data (text+graphics)?

<< < (5/7) > >>

Armando:
I don't know about everyone else, but I'm spending a lot of time fiddling around with various programs, too!    :-\
-Mandork (July 20, 2007, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for just saying that. Starting to feel like I might be the only one struggling... or the only one struggling for... nothing? Not that I haven't had any useful feedback though!

* @ Mandork + Wiki like Solutions : You'll see that there are some posts around about ZuluPad (and ZuluPad Pro), wikidpad, tiddlywiki, etc. I really like tiddlywiki. But after some more fiddling around, I've decided that to manage text+complex tables+graphics, it's not the best solution. There seem to be ways to achieve what I want, but it doesn't look very intuitive... Or am I missing something?  :-[

* On simple formating only VS “multimedia” + complex formatting : What I find is that there are a lot of solutions to manage plain text or simple RTF textual data,  but not that much for more "multimedia" kind of data (text + graphic + complex formatting, in my case). Unless, of course, you're willing to invest like what seems a lot of time dealing with issues and trying to make the software do what it wasn't really meant to do in the first place.  Yes, some of these solutions do offer more control, but at what price!
Now, I might sound a bit like an heretic, but, right now -- and even if that software still figures as my "not good enough" starting point in this thread --  MS Word (maybe followed by OneNote, OpenOffice and TextMaker) seems to me like the most rounded solution (and, yes, it is not LaTeX… and it doesn't know the diffrence between typefaces and fonts...).  :-[   Word does almost everything I want. ALMOST. Of course, if it was perfect, I wouldn't be looking for something else.

* Interlude : some thoughts about a... New Generation File System Organizational Interface — NGFSOI?? (not very elegant, I know) : I believe that my problem is a multi faceted one, not only linked to "individual software" limitations, but ultimately  also to the way NTFS (and even other FS) is currently used by the OS and the file explorers. Some posts  by Spivey, jimdoria, superboyac,  nevf and nudone in the "note-taking" thread were heading in that  direction. Some quotes :Instead of creating a database and bringing whatever I wanted into it, let the file system be that database and use the program to impose whatever forms of order upon it I saw fit.-Spivey
--- End quote ---
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2362.msg25341#msg25341

[…] of using the file system as the back end for the ultimate Note Taking software. It does have some excellent benefits, and addresses the interoperability issue neatly.-jimdoria
--- End quote ---
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=2362.msg25400#msg25400

Unfortunately, like some said, that king of solution seems like a hard thing to achieve… We have software like Eclipse, tag2find (which seems to use the alternate data stream in a pretty clever way), ACDsee, Directory Opus, tiddlywiki, etc. but no unified system and interface which would allow the use of flexible categories (keywords, tags, etc.), virtual folders, file cloning, file linking, seemless searching,  etc. implemented in a very robust way.

To me that “NGFSOI” (don't laugh) would be the real deal. Vista seemed like it was going to offer something in that direction, but… it looks like it’s not for now.

I know, I'm drifting, and the solution I'm looking for right now probably doesn't require such a "radical" shift.

* @ Jimdoria + askSam: thanks. I remember you talked about it in another thread, superboyac too, and I checked it at that time. I’ll have to look at it again. But, from what I remember  it's very expensive (as you said too), it's strictly windows (meaning that everyting that’s imported in asksam will have to be dealt with… asksam), not unicode compatible, everything has to be moved in its database to be searchable, it doesn’t deal with images, etc. BUT I’ll have another look at it. (Something like askSam would so much better if it was, like I’ve suggested, more of an organizational layer on top -- and taking advantage of the inherent possibilities -- of the ntfs fle system…)
Anyways... Sorry for that long post. I'm still searching. I'm presently testing Word + Links to a database (like Evernotes' database). I know, simple, but it could be (????) the most effective-powerful-simple-flexible-portable-etc. thing at that point.

housetier:
and it doesn't know the diffrence between typefaces and fonts...-Armando (July 20, 2007, 08:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I also don't know the difference, could you explain it in simple terms? This is just to humor my curiosity; the rest of this thread is much more interesting and important.

Armando:
Hi, thanks for having a look at the thread!
(And here's an explanation that seems to be pretty straightforward: http://www.grantasticdesigns.com/fonts.html )
By the way, I still haven't completely solved my organizational problem. I will eventually post my current "simple" solution. In the mean time, I'm still open to suggestions!

housetier:
Thanks Armando! Now it is clear to me.  :Thmbsup:

housetier:
I still haven't completely solved my organizational problem. I will eventually post my current "simple" solution. In the mean time, I'm still open to suggestions!
-Armando (August 10, 2007, 11:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am also eager to hear of those suggestions. IMHO it is more of a personal organizational problem than a technical problem. But maybe the tools I know are too limited and I would have to do all the work myself instead of relying on a tool...

I want to have a tool, so I won't have to use my brain so much :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version