topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: totally pathetic comparison about apple and microsoft  (Read 5328 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
totally pathetic comparison about apple and microsoft
« on: July 05, 2007, 03:55 AM »
i saw this video whilst browsing someone's design blog (i won't mention who they are as their topic is unrelated to my post here).

http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=0pXL5_RvGrs

the clip is meant to be funny and oh so clever - how the ipod would be packaged if designed by microsoft.

i assume the clip was put together by a mac head as i can't see anyone else wasting that amount of time on something that completely misses the point.

apple can get away with minimal design on the packaging because EVERYONE on the planet already knows what the product is about without having to read the box. the box could be completely faceless and just have the word ipod and apple stamped on it on the underside where no one will see it and the product would still sell.

how witty to totally miss this point and show how microsoft would have to resort to actually putting useful information on the box to make it clear what is inside - BECAUSE they don't have the media hysteria and fan boy love for the plastic box they manufacture.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: totally pathetic comparison about apple and microsoft
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:17 AM »
If I had my way, I'd have all the apple fanboys up against the wall, and shot. Not all apple users, mind you, since not all of them are moronic bigots.

I do like simple and pure design (though I'm not a fan of the way apple does it, I'm more into NAD simplicity), but the apple product boxes are just ludicrous. Gimme some specs, kthxpzl.

edit: URL fixed, thanks nudone.
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 04:28 AM by f0dder »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:01 AM »
It's a very clever spoof, and very well done.
But i agree, and i want some f*cking specs and feature lists on my box -- i want to see what features they think are most important.

Again, not knocking apple products, which can be outstanding.  Just a knock against the marketing approach.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Disclaimer: I never use mp3 players - I cant stand earphones - I know they're more versatile now but point being I'm not very qualified to talk here
BUT  :D
I think the marketing approach,
with iPod at any rate is "it's cool" & we wont tell you anything else about it in case you realise other players have serious advantages - like you can change the battery...
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 12:02 PM »
apple can get away with minimal design on the packaging because EVERYONE on the planet already knows what the product is about without having to read the box. the box could be completely faceless and just have the word ipod and apple stamped on it on the underside where no one will see it and the product would still sell.

There was a time, not that long ago, when plain packaging like this was considered 'cheap, no frills, generic'.

It wasn't what you thought of when you thought of the word 'quality'.

Just told you what was inside.

It was often of lesser quality and price than even the basic store brand.

generic.jpgnofrills.jpg

A plain white box with the word 'ipod' wouldn't be much different, except for the price.  :P

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 02:23 PM »
I can't see the video from my office, but if It's the one I think it is (with the Pee-Wee Herman music and the list of system requirements that expands off the box) it was actually created by Microsoft.

It was an internal spoof they produced (or had produced for them) to demonstrate why people love Apple in a way that they don't love MS. It wasn't supposed to be made public, but it was obviously too good to keep under wraps.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 03:05 PM »
you are right about it being that clip. i apologise to all mac fan-boys.

i guess my comments just show how biased i am against apple stuff.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:45 PM »
you are right about it being that clip. i apologise to all mac fan-boys.

i guess my comments just show how biased i am against apple stuff.
And you're obviously not alone.
- carpe noctem