ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

EMDB: Eric's Movie Database

(1/5) > >>

Nighted:
Eric's Movie Database is a free program that you can use to put all your movie titles into a database. I've been playing around with it for a few hours and I'm quite happy with it. It's definitely good enough for my needs.

It doesn't matter if they are DVD or some compressed container format, EMDB is suitable for just about anything related to movies. It's simple to use: Just click on Add, enter the title of the movie, hit enter or click the Search IMDB button, and it does the rest for you.

It has a nice HTML template setup, although the default template is rather crude and needs some kind of tags to allow you to use tables and tweak image height & width for covers (if these tags exist, I am not yet aware of them). It's export feature is also very nice, letting you decide exactly what information you want to put in the text file. The covers feature seems to add the cover sideways when you add it manually, but there's a fix for this by un-checking "Automatically rotate images when needed" in the options dialog. A feature to open the cover by clicking on the preview would be welcome also as the thumbnails are very small.

It seems to be portable too. Don't ask me if it's stealth or green or whatever, but I do know you can move the directory around and the program runs fine wherever it's placed. Overall though, I'm very impressed with this little program. Send the author a donation and he'll even put your name at the top! I'll let the screenshots tell you the rest.

The main screen:

Here's the various sections of the options dialog:

yksyks:
I'm using Ant Movie Catalog (http://www.antp.be/software/moviecatalog), which is more configurable and scriptable. Maybe it's not as easy to use, but it's capable of gathering movie info from different databases, not just IMDb.

Nighted:
Yeah, Ant Movie Catalog does look very nice. There's source and a Linux version too!  :up:

nosh:
I've tried several movie databases in the last couple of days. EMDB has its quirks/bugs and it lacks the power of most of these but I keep coming back to it coz of its simplicity. It's also the fastest one to add movies in. I just wish he incorporates a full text search that includes movie descriptions in a future version.

Umbrella:
Thanks very much for your post. Unfortunately, EMDB doesn't allow downloading information about a film from different databases, it has no built-in player for watching movies. I also used Ant Movie Catalog, but its development was dropped and some useful features were still missing. That's why I chose Movienizer. It's a multifunctional freeware. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version