ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > SMF Forum Mods

DC SMF Search Mod - an improvement search for smf forum (codename Zillarank)

<< < (2/11) > >>

Wordzilla:
The reason I took extra step to include the standalone modified search.php was:

For some unknown reason, the original package will NOT uninstall (even thou it installs without a damn problem) in SMF package manager. As such if the user continues with the uninstallation process, his search.php will be ruined.

And what make it even worse, he cannot reinstall the package right away to fix search.php -- now he has to:

1. Delete the original package
2. Download updated package
3. Restore original search.php from official smf installation
4. Install updated package

Do we hate supporters of our mod? What exactly is the point of troubling them with all these extra time-wasting steps?

If they have the already modified standalone search.php in the mod, applying/upgrading DC search to their own SMF forum couldnt be easier -- Copy + Replace, that's it!

jgpaiva:
which is illegal according to their licensing, and we need to remove it and only include the "diff" file or the issue would be "elevated". 
-mouser (July 10, 2007, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
That does sound like something coming from someone asking not to be helped.
I understand that they have their own rules, and they could just be asking you to follow them, but that's definitelly not the correct way to do things.
I agree with you, mouser. Better leave them with nothing.
On the other hand... Isn't there some kind of clause about people who make mods of SMF being obliged to distribute them?

nudone:
i confess i don't really understand what this problem implies - does it mean DC is allowed to use wordy's brilliant search mod or not?

Wordzilla:
i confess i don't really understand what this problem implies - does it mean DC is allowed to use wordy's brilliant search mod or not?
--- End quote ---

No worries nudone, nobody was trying to stop us from using our own modified script.  :)

Simply put it was because I included the ultimate modified script in my package so that ppl could just copy/replace to upgrade their search script, without going through the smf mod installer (a forum component).

SMF ppl claimed that the distribution of this directly replacement for their original script was "redistribution without written permission" and was again their licensing terms.

I only included the direct replacement script in the package because it was not possible for users to uninstall my package and as such it'd make it difficult for them to upgrade their search script next time. Now what could get easier than direct copy/replace?

Anyways, I've been working for 5 hrs to finally get a working uninstallable package out. SMF installer is hard to play with, sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesn't -- for no apparent reason.

nudone:
ah, i see. thanks for the explanation, wordzilla.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version