ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

An idea for FARR "with this file do.." type actions

<< < (2/3) > >>

taichimaster:
I wonder if it's useful to do it both ways on the selection, so that for example you can do

notepad.exe | $$1 abc.txt

and

notepad.exe | winhex $$1

where the first one will open "notepad.exe abc.txt" and the 2nd one will do "winhex notepad.exe"

Perhaps we can already do that with alias?

jgpaiva:
I absolutelly love this idea!!

I just think that using | would be a bit strange, maybe hard to understand, and most possibly won't be found by someone who doesn't read the whole help file (and let's be honest: who does?)
I think that the -tab- option is better. Right now, it gets the path of the whole file on the editbox, but i see no reason why it shoudn't do what you said in the first post. Notice that if one wanted to have the directory of the file, one could just do ctrl + rightArrow, and to copy the path of the file itself, one could do arrowDown and then ctrl-c. Thus, i don't think that using tab to autocomplete files is very useful right now.

On the other hand, if we wanted the functionality refered on this post to be available for both files and folders (since one could, for example, apply the "zip" action to a whole directory), then, as tab is VERY useful with folders, it could not be used for this.

Also, another reason why i'm a bit relunctant is that | is only accessible through shift-\ in my keyboard.

Lashiec:
You can use a key modifier to select the file you want to work, like "I want to open the second file in PSPad instead of Notepad", you press Ctrl+2, and then using shell extensions, you use the "Open with" dialog.

I was thinking in what character to use time ago, when I read the different discussions. How about going the UNIX and C++ way? That is, using "<<". But I think this was a bit unreachable in certain layouts. To use "|" here, I've got to resort to Alt Gr, but thanks to programming, I have it mastered.

steeladept:
Maybe I am missing the point, but why would something like this be required to be on the same line?  If it works without the arguments, it would still work on a command line.  If you were using FARR from a non-CLI, then you can have it open (or show) in a subfield on the interface.  If you wanted to continue this for CLI, you can have those map directly to switches.  Or am I way off here?

nitrix-ud:
I think that the -tab- option is better.
--- End quote ---

i agree  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version