ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

OWNING "hacker tools" illegal in Germany as of TODAY (jail & fines for everyone)

<< < (3/7) > >>

cmpm:
Would this "law" also apply to Microsoft?

Lashiec:
cmpm raised an interesting question with it sarcastic comment ;)

What happens, for example, with "legal" software designed to protect THEM for what US could do to their intellectual property? What happens with the Sony rootkit, the Cactus protection embedded in one of the releases of my beloved Natalie Imbruglia that install itself in the computer without asking me anything, Starforce (!!)? They're also hacker tools by their own definition (well, and by everyone), that could be used to commit crimes (uhm, I wonder what rootkit used certain viruses...)

nudone, I think this law is much more like the anti-piracy laws USA's general attorney is trying to impose there. You get in problems if you attempt to commit a property theft. I wonder if the plague would continue to infest the world...

nudone:
perhaps this is the first step in trying to 'tighten up' the internet - in a typical ham fisted manner. i wouldn't be surprised to see such a law spread across europe.

whatever happens i would hope that human ingenuity finds away around or through it.

mitzevo:
this is the stupidiest shit i've seen for a week.. (lol), so i can go to jail or get fined for having telnet on my computer? shit. obviously not, but you can do a lot with telnet.. it's probably one of the most basic "hacker tools"..

do they really know any thing about "hacker tools"? a web browser can be used to do a lot of damage.. so is our web browsers hacker tools? what about nbtstat and related? what about all the tools included in most *nix distro's... WTF... i imagine these days there are a lot of network testing/scanning/probing tools included with *nix.. this is the tip of the iceberg..

obviously.. im going a little crazy, but they don't actually know that many tools can be used for ill purposes even though they are not used for such.. like a hex editor, a telnet/ssh client, and all this stuff is standard on pretty much most boxes these days..

;D

app103:
I guess this outlaw's complete linux distros like nUbuntu.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version