ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

deleting files from DVD/CD?

(1/4) > >>

tomos:
Is there any simple way to delete files from disc (DVD/CD)?

Situation is I realised some older backups I did on DVD have some info (passwords) that isnt encrypted.
I would like to keep the backups but delete the relevant files.

These discs would have been burned with multisession so arent "closed"
I've tried using nero express & ashampoo to delete a couple of files off disc without success
The only way I could find so far was to replace the files with other (less sensitive or encrypted) of the same name.
Which is too complicated for what its worth

any ideas??

thanks, tom

Deozaan:
Copy the entire disc to DVD-RW and then just erase the files you don't want. Be sure to destroy the old disc, too.

You can't erase from a CD or DVD unless it's CDRW or DVDRW.

Ampa:
AFAIK once the info is on the CD it is there for good. Even if you add a file with the same name, tho old file is still going to exist, and is therefore findable (there are tools out there that will read all sessions of a multi-burn disk, and hence find the original).

The only surefire way would be to re-burn the CD in question, without the offending files.

hamradio:
My Alternate Solution:

You could also just go through changing passwords to everything that is unencrypted.  Then they would be wrong on the cd/dvd.  :)

Cynic:
Copy the entire disc to DVD-RW and then just erase the files you don't want. Be sure to destroy the old disc, too.

You can't erase from a CD or DVD unless it's CDRW or DVDRW.
-Deozaan (July 05, 2007, 12:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
I may be completely wrong, but I don't believe that's the case. Even when you erase files on rewritable media, the files are still accessible with tools like IsoBuster, like Ampa said.

So, in response to Tomos' intial question, I believe the answer is "no".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version