ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum

<< < (9/25) > >>

Wordzilla:
I think a drop-down solution might be nice, with "prefer hits from this section", "only search this section" and "just search entire board, dammit!" choices...
-f0dder (July 05, 2007, 04:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes!! Perhaps we need a dropdown box like that on SMF forums:

Our quick search dropdown box will have the following choices:

1. Community  (search entire Forum)
2. This board   (search within this board)
3. This topic    (search within this topic)
4. Help Desk    (search our help desk entries)
5. Members     (find a member)
6. Entire Site   (google site search)

What do you think? Any ideas?  :feedback:

mouser:
I've generally been against this idea, but that's not bad..
i might delete #2 and call #1 "Entire Forum"

jgpaiva:
I personally always make a search in the full site, since i use the "dcs" search alias in opera, thus can't be a big assistence.
I can see the usefulness of that dropbox, though.

Lashiec:
Um, good idea, Wordzilla. I won't be as radical as mouser, removing the second option, mostly because as the board grows, people will want to refine the search (unless the mod performance really escalates well as the size grows). The drop-down box will remove one step, the one for accessing the advanced search. Besides, the possible choices mentioned are well thought :Thmbsup:

Also, one of my crazy ideas, that I briefly discussed with Wordzilla: an alias for searching the forum with the same options as the drop-down box

Wordzilla:
I suspect there's need for search within a single topic:

We have humongous topics here, like:

General brainstorming for Note-taking software
with 570 replies!

Latest FARR v2.00.135 ALPHA PREVIEW Release - July 17, 2007
with 783 replies!

You know when you do search, even when there are multiple posts matching your query within a topic, only the latest (yes, just one) matching post will be shown (quoted) on search results page:

(Only the latest matching post is quoted)

And as a matter of fact, there are two matching posts in that topic, and the second one (not shown in search results) might be more interesting:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=search2;topic=3824.0;local=1;search=allsnap

Now without search box support for searching within a single topic, you literally have to go through more than a dozen topic pages (if there are more than 200 replies) to find the rest of posts that also matched your query!

p.s. our new DC search (engine) supports single topic search straightforwardly, we are actually deciding on whether to add user interface for it.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version