ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum

<< < (11/25) > >>

AbteriX:
Maybe, if possible? ... search for match words in hole thread?

Try to find 'simpson' and 'fun' ... i didn't find the thread 'Recreate yourself: simpson style!' with that expression
..... i found it with 'simpson' as expression only.

Wordzilla:
And maybe search for "hole word" only as default:===> 'Fun'
With an hint to use asterisks ===> '*fun*'  for fuzzy search.
Or better an check box?
-AbteriX (July 27, 2007, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

There's a serious problem with matching "whole word" only, normally you do NOT want to search with this option in that:

With "whole word" matching on, if someone searches "tool", it won't find "tools"; similarly, for "play", the search wont be able return "played", "playing", "player", etc. variants. In the end there will be many missing results and the user may end up having to revise search query many times.

Let's say I search for: free download manager, should a post that contains "freeware downloader manager" or "freebie downloading managers" match. With "whole word" matching on, the post will be excluded from results, unfortunately.

Able to use RegEx would be handy of course ==> '\bFun??'  ===> 'Fun' , 'funny',....
-AbteriX (July 27, 2007, 07:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, but it will hit v hard on the server and drive mouser mad  ;)

mouser:
regex and case sensitive seem a bit overkill to me, but whether to default to whole word searching seems worth considering.

Wordzilla:
regex and case sensitive seem a bit overkill to me, but whether to default to whole word searching seems worth considering.
-mouser (July 27, 2007, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Read my reply above, if we set default to "whole word" matching it could ruin our search as too many relevant topics would be excluded simply due to its keywords being a little bit different from user query terms.

mouser:
one thing you could do is higher score to whole word matches..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version