ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum

<< < (3/25) > >>

lanux128:
What if ZillaRank changed this behavior and always searched the whole board, BUT (here is the clever part), gave a higher score bonus to results from the section you are in at the time of search.-mouser (July 04, 2007, 09:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
that would be cool! i fully agree.. :Thmbsup:

f0dder:
If this turns out well, are you going to contribute this back to the SMF people?
--- End quote ---

Of course.  What a ridiculous question! we're not savages here!  :P
-mouser (July 04, 2007, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I meant more in the sense "and do you reckon they might fix up their default behaviour?". Doing the contribution itself is mostly a no-brainer, I even think their license requiresa it? :)

Right now if you search using the editbox at top of the forum, while you are in a forum section, it will ONLY search in that forum section.

This is very disorienting and most people don't realize it.

What if ZillaRank changed this behavior and always searched the whole board, BUT (here is the clever part), gave a higher score bonus to results from the section you are in at the time of search.
-mouser (July 04, 2007, 09:41 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's very disorienting indeed!

I think a drop-down solution might be nice, with "prefer hits from this section", "only search this section" and "just search entire board, dammit!" choices...

Wordzilla:
I think a drop-down solution might be nice, with "prefer hits from this section", "only search this section" and "just search entire board, dammit!" choices...
--- End quote ---

Yup I believe this is more practical. An update to the script will be ready soon. By default it searches the entire forum unless user specifizes board/topic.

Wordzilla:
Update: v1.2.1 is now live on DC forum

So what's new?

1. Searches entire forum by default, but is also capable of search within board/topic

Right now if you search using the editbox at top of the forum, while you are in a forum section, it will ONLY search in that forum section.
--- End quote ---

Now you no longer have to go back to forum index to search entire site, with new our DC smf search.

--- End quote ---

It's fairly easy for us to modify the current search boxes to better support searching within board/topic, if desired.

2. Active board ranking adjustment (thanks to mouser)

What if ZillaRank changed this behavior and always searched the whole board, BUT (here is the clever part), gave a higher score bonus to results from the section you are in at the time of search.
--- End quote ---

The script now raises the ranking of all matching topics within the forum you are browsing, while displaying all matching topics in the entire forum.

By applying a multiplier to existing smf relevance score, it distorts the ranking just a bit.

It only taking a boolean value change to turn off this feature.

Unlike standard smf search, DC search does not ignore words with 3 letters or less. So any keyword counts!  :)

:feedback:

mouser:
the new active board scoring heuristic is great.
(note for testers, if you do the same exact search twice in a row you wont see the effect because of smf caching, so make sure if you test this you conduct a search for some other term in between tests).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version