ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

ZillaRank: An improved search for smf forum

<< < (22/25) > >>

Darwin:
Just a reminder, folks: voting is still open for the Most Senseless Posting of 2007.
--- End quote ---

tomos:
is the default search set to all words (& not to "any words")?

the other day I was searching for a thread - "site for searching for geographical features?" is the title
I searched for "Finding Geographical features"
it found nothing
but then on the advanced search page that comes up, I selected "any words"
and found my thread, but I think it was #12 in spite of being the first with both "geographical" and "features"

very happy with search :) but thought I'd ask anyways

lanux128:
i'm not so sure but iirc once you set the option to "Match all words" then it's stays that way.. :-\

Wordzilla:
is the default search set to all words (& not to "any words")?
-tomos (January 11, 2008, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, default search requires all keywords in your query to appear in the same post or topic subject.

the other day I was searching for a thread - "site for searching for geographical features?" is the title
it found nothing
--- End quote ---

I had a look at the thread in question, and it didnt contain the word "Finding". The search engine, at this stage, does not automatically expand the query with synonyms, so if you look for a "required" keyword that does not exist in the target thread, it will not show up.  :)

tomos:
it found nothing
--- End quote ---

I had a look at the thread in question, and it didnt contain the word "Finding". The search engine, at this stage, does not automatically expand the query with synonyms, so if you look for a "required" keyword that does not exist in the target thread, it will not show up.  :)-Wordzilla (January 11, 2008, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
okay.
Yes, default search requires all keywords in your query to appear in the same post or topic subject.
-Wordzilla (January 11, 2008, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---
do you not think it would be better to use the "any words" search as default ... hmmm, pros and cons there I guess :-\
I'm sure you thought about it all

but then on the advanced search page that comes up, I selected "any words"
and found my thread, but I think it was #12 in spite of being the first with both "geographical" and "features"
--- End quote ---
was wondering here -
does the search favour the first word?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version