ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Wine Ratings Are For Suckers: Fun Article

<< < (2/3) > >>

steeladept:
I, personally, rarely rely on anything from critics.  They are usually either paid one way or another for their comments (credibility issues), or they don't know what they are talking about.  It is rare you find one that is worth the time to listen to, and you have to wade through so much garbage, it is even more rare that they are worth finding.  This is for nearly any product, not just wine. 

That said, one of the first suggestions I ever heard from a winery is "Forget what people tell you about wines or that this goes with that.  I will tell you some guidelines most people find useful for choosing a wine, but in the end, it is what YOU like."  Ever since, I have found that the cheaper white wines are my taste, and it saves me money.  What more could I ask for from wine?

edbro:
I agree for the most part but, I have been turned on to some pretty good wines by reading reviews. Lately, I have been drinking a lot of Australian blended wines. My current favorite is a Rosemont Shiraz/Grenach blend. The current Australian blends are a great value for your money.

f0dder:
Australian or Chilean wines are my favorite, definitely Shiraz. Merlot isn't all bad either, if perhaps a bit fruity.

Lashiec:
You guys seem to be wine connoisseurs :D

iphigenie:
There's reviews and then there's single number grades - I do agree that grades dont mean much and a lot of people do far too much about those grades.

Then you have medals, and some are meaningful (qualitative, only won if wine is good, some categories might give several medals and some none if nothing is great etc.) and some arent (marketing, 200 categories and always a winner in each...)

I cant imagine that people know the difference

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version