ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Excalibur 32-bit

<< < (3/4) > >>

Ward:
I still don't think RPN is more logic - you have to break down expressions into fragments with RPN. HP probably just wrote that blurb because it's easier to do RPN than a complex expression evaluator ;)

-f0dder (July 01, 2007, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree...And the idea of the RPN saving keystrokes is rubbish as well.  After each number you hit enter, then after the operator you hit enter.  So for 2 + 2 = 4 you end up with 6 keystrokes vs. 4 w/ a standard calculator.  Now for a much more complex equation, you still hit the enter after each keystroke, and unless you have a great many nested sub-equations requiring several Parentheses in a row, then you really loose keystrokes.  Even in those situations it is not as much a savings as you are led to believe.

Another point to argue is the more natural method as taught in school on paper.  I don't know what school(s) they are talking about, but I know a simple algebraic calculator allows me to enter the equation EXACTLY like I was taught in school.

The only "advantage" I can see is seeing the intermediate steps, but even this is trivially completed with a standard algebraic calculator.

So back to the original question - Why RPN?
-steeladept (July 01, 2007, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You don't have to press enter after every number - just press the operation associated.

E.g. 2 then press enter, 2 again then press +. Exactly the same as a normal calculator. Enter is only used once. The more complex the calculation, the less keystrokes are required.

f0dder:
i do find RPN to be a beautiful and elegant solution to handling parentheses.  The stack-like process should warm the heart of any programmer.
-mouser
--- End quote ---
Not necessarily the programmers that have been dealing with x86 floating-point code >_<. I do find that there's some zen-like simplicity and elegance to RPN, but I don't find it particularly practical or convenient.

elpresi:
http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/

Another RPn calculator   ;)

jgpaiva:
you also found us a new kind of license, elpresi!

Spiceware

Actually, I like cooking. So if you like XCALC, please consider sending me some spices! If you have a special local blend or something you like, I would be very happy to receive a sample! Address below. Thank you!-http://www.tordivel.no/xcalc/
--- End quote ---

JohnFredC:
RPN is for those people who do lengthy chaining of calculations (not just adding-machine work) or who are conscious (or need to be conscious) of mathematical operator precedence and its effects on a calculation's result. 

Once you have learned to use the stack in an HP calculator (an RPN implementation), for instance, you'll understand why RPN is so popular with the more technical-minded among us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version