ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Excel formula help?

<< < (2/2)

m_s:
Thanks to all for your excellent help.  I have now worked out the Excel end of the process - it required several steps and IF... THENS, but it produces a usable list of pages for each author at the end.  What I did in the end was to use a formula to check when there was a new person in the author list, and then a formula to isolate the pages of each new author, and then a formula to format that list of pages. 

But now there's the Word end of it...  Mail-merge isn't built to do agile logic - at the moment, my Excel sheet uses a column to aggregate the list of each person's pages in a cell on the last line of their name (makes sense?), and where they have multiple pages, each individual cell above that list is left blank (still with me?).  So I want Word to skip these blank lines, and only mail-merge lines which have data in this particular cell - which data is the formatted list of pages... 

Phew!  This is complicated - but at the moment we're having to cut and paste a few hundred emails each month, and if I can get this to work it'll have been an afternoon very well spent!  Thanks again for any help.

m_s:
Query options in the mail merge!  Query options in the mail merge!  Great!  Now I have a pristine Word doc with correct text...  Next step: a Word macro to make email messages of this doc...  Still after any suggestions if others can help...

Perry Mowbray:
Query options in the mail merge!  Query options in the mail merge!  Great!  Now I have a pristine Word doc with correct text...  Next step: a Word macro to make email messages of this doc...  Still after any suggestions if others can help...
-m_s (June 29, 2007, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are also NextRecord functions in Word that you can use to skip records.

From memory, you should be able to MailMerge to email output from Word. Isn't there a Wizard to set that up for you??? So, in stead of chosing New Document as the output, it's email (I hope my  memory is serving me correctly).

But I still think it'd be a better solution to leave your original spreadsheets in tact and create a new one to mail merge from...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version