ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Ad blockers, newspaper sites, etc.

<< < (2/2)

evamaria:
Kudos for this ad for jupiterbroadcasting.com. Since I didn't really understand the principle from your description, I went to their site, and there, I understood immediately, but also understood why I hadn't understood your post, spontaneously:

Unfortunately, there is a logical fault in this approach (if I understand it correctly): When you look at vids (very funny currently, Putin's gesture, right on their home page ("From Russia with love"), and I have to say that I've much difficulties to NOT like Putin these days (and remembering all the BAD things he did before and will do in the future), considering his stance in the Snowden affair: outrageously smart AND not too harmful to Edward (if I dare call him by his Christian name)).

(As for the Putin vid, for readers whenever the visual link will have vanished from their homepage ( I LOVE that (photoshopped) photo:

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/39512/from-russia-with-love-unfilter-56/ )

As for the logical fault in this concept: When you look at vids, you will NOT buy books and such, and vice versa. So, whenever I buy something at those "affiliates", I would have to remember there was jupiterbroadcasting.com, go back there, then click the link there, then do my buyings... or just do my research?

Since on top of this, 99 p.c. of the time, I do my RESEARCH on amazon, but then do my "buys" within the interlibrary loan system between Germany's university libraries...

(and then, customer service of amazon.de has become so bad these days, whenever a problem occurs (and problems multiply with them, lately), and you try to phone them, they interrupt the communication, or when then you choose their "chat" function, they leave you without any answer for 10 or 15 minutes, when you finally will close down the communication for lack of any result)

but anyway, be it for research or for buying, having to go back to a specific site, in order to access the relevant site from there, in order to handle them over some p.c. of your possible purchase, is simply not realistic, and even when I buy with amazon.de, it's from links from idealo.de, since I want price comparison, and amazon's prices are far from being "good", most of the time, so SOMETIMES, the amazon price shown in idealo (or any other price comparison tool in the web) is "good" for me, but most of the time, it is not. Thus, in such instances, not going grom my price comparison tool to the vendor, but going back to a specific (video or other) side, in order to access the vendor?

"Come on"! Such a behavior is virtually inexistant, even when I really LIKE a specific site, I would not do it, for it being far too much fuss for me!

The inherent problem of all advertizing is, for us, intellectual "elite", most offerings in ads are simply sub-optimal, or more precisely, they are sub-optimal (as a serious offer to us, I mean) in almost ANY case, but the "underclass" will not bother (but buy whenever the advertizing is sufficiently strong, and the price isn't TOO outrageous, comparatively, and within their reach).

Thus, my - strictly personal - "answer" to this problem is, make available info in order to sell something else, which is related to your info (so there is a change to sell your product / service), but which is not so intimately related to your info that your info has to become biased / dishonest / fraudulent, i.e.

Have your info as honest and complete as possible, in theory. And yes, when I write my content, I somethings get stick to some content I so much would like to publish, but which would harm my business... but seriously, I try to publish it to the max, with withhelding a strict minimum of details, preferring to put them in a way that hopefully the effect of publishing them, i.e. of people "seeing" my honesty here, will overcome the dissuasive effect.

This is travelling on a rope, but whenever in doubt, I prefer to "say" it, and all the worse for my business lost to less honest contenders - but I'm not a saint or such: Whenever I "speak out" in such a way, I make sure my "open wording" will harm my contenders' businesses, too, if ever it's able to harm mine.

So I'm accustomed to "speak out" "difficult things".

And that's why as for "advertizing" in that sense we all encounter it all the time...

This being said, I could imagine technical ways to implement such a "deferral" you have presented here, and which would DO IT:

Some "special cookies", stored differently, stored elsewhere, but with the users' specific allowance, to begin with, and which then would, whenever you arrive at amazon.de or wherever.com, would "pop up", asking you, "xyz.com is a site from which we, in case, would get some p.c. - would you allow us to do a referral here?".

Without any hesitation, I would click "yes", even for real buys, for many more than just one site I regularly visit...

and of course, it would become VERY amusing whenever we'd get two or more such pop-ups, for the SAME site, and we would have to really choose then, who's going to get our money now?

And yes, I'd prefer ONE standard-pop-up dialog here, letting me choose. Remember, we're speaking here, exclusively, of referrers to which originally you will have given the permission to pop up this dialog! (And in such a dialog, there should be several options: "Yes", "Not now", AND "I revoke my permission to you to ask me that question ever again!".)

Under these circumstances, I'd be happy to have referrers have "my" money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version