ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > General Review Discussion

Review suggestions

<< < (3/17) > >>

nudone:
well if you say antiver is good then i'm going to have to give it a try. if it looks better than avg then that will probably be enough to sway me. i like the idea of it having a commandline option - i'm assuming that this means it will work in dos, say, from a boot CD with dos on it. has anyone had experience of the commandline version?

i'm surprised to hear that nod32 has some issues - i suppose i've always believed the hype that it was the pinnacle of antivirus software. if it's not perfect then i'm not interested  :)

mouser:
well i should say that, despite the issues, nod32 is on my system right now  :D

some issues:

it freaks out with some files - there are a few files that seem to really cause it to scan very slowly.. some dll's that have copy protection and some small .html files.  and combined with a flaw in it's ability to cache crc values for files, the weel-renowned speed of nod32 can literally slow down to molasses at certain times.

it took me many days of frustration to figure out that this was the reason that my right click in explorer was taking 10 times longer to pop up than normal, and why my dictionary program suddenly went from opening instantly to taking 20 seconds to open.  truly bizarre behavior, and the only solution is to manually exclude these files/folders from scanning.  a bug in the exclude dialog makes this even more annoying.

nod32 also has a heuristic engine on by default which can false alarm on some files, and when it alerts on them it doesnt tell the user "hey i'm just guessing about this", which has resulted in some confusion wrt some very harmless programs being accused of having viruses.

with all that said you might think i don't like nod32, but in fact it's really mostly a very nice antivirus with a very efficient feel to it in most respects.  i used antivir for a long time and i sometimes go back and forth between antivir and nod32.  i just couldn't get used to the interface of avg and some other antiviruses i've tried.  i also liked f-prot.  mcafee seemed quite nice to me too but i had the feeling it might be using a lot of system resources..

nudone:
by the sounds of it, nod32 is going to give me plenty to play with - trying to configure it correctly. normally this i would enjoy but as i've never had to do this with avg (now trying antivir: seems fine so far) it seems like a backward step.

can't remember if i tried f-prot. i'll have to look into it.

Jibz:
Kaspersky might also be worth a look.

Ann Elm:
How about a good program to handle Favorites!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version