ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Stop Windows from calling home

<< < (2/11) > >>

Dr-Leech:
Nice tool!

Thanks

Curt:
This look very similar to xp-AntiSpy. I will try this and compare.
-Nighted (June 23, 2007, 12:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

xp-Antispy 3.96.5.final is ready for download and will now run a lot better on Vista.

XP-AntiSpy is a little utility that let's you disable some built-in update and authetication 'features' in WindowsXP. For example, there's a service running in the background wich is called 'Automatic Updates'. I don't know what this service transfers from my machine to other machines on the internet, especially the MS ones. So I play it safe and disable such functions. If you like, you can even disable these function manually, by going through the System and checking or unchecking some checkboxes. This will take you approximately half an hour. But why wasting time when a little neat utility can do the same in 1 minute? This utility was successfully tested by lots of users, and was found to disable all the known 'Suspicious' Functions in WindowsXP.
--- End quote ---

Relating to the last beta version, i basically changed the behaviour when running on Vista.
So far, when running the xp-AntiSpy on Vista it automatically started requiering administrative rights, you recognize that by the dialog thats pops up and asks for your permission. This is part of Windows Vista and is called User Account Control. I decided that it's better to let the xp-AntiSpy start with normal user privilleges, and get administrative rights only when it's needed.

So if you just want to check if every setting is in sync with the profile, you do not need to be administrator to do that.

--- End quote ---

http://xp-antispy.org/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/lang,en/
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2062.html

peter.licht:
Just downloaded xpy.
Excellent recommendation! Thanks!

--
Peter Licht

y0himba:
The program works and does what it is supposed to do, but the question is, why?

I have never understood the reason for stopping or limiting these options and services.  I don't see the privacy concern?  I purchased and own my copy of Windows, so what is the issue?  The only thing there I would consider stopping because of security or privacy is the Remote Registry Service, which is set to "manual" by default.  I would stop Windows Defender because it is useless and a resource hog, not due to privacy or security. Even then, I can open my services control panel and disable those services then remove the startup entries.

I want Windows to Auto Update, latest security fixes, no identifiable information sent.

Disable "questionable services".  Such as?  With the advent of service pack 2 for XP, many services were put into manual mode.  This carried over into Vista and also 7.  Which services does the author find "questionable" and what exactly is it disabling?  Why are they "questionable"?  "Oh no! The evil MS might know my time zone! The horror!"    

Disarm Internet Explorer?  How exactly? What is the software disarming?  You can choose not to allow IE to send usage statistics, not to check web sites, not to check for updates right in the options.  You can even change the default search engine and tell it not to use suggestions from your chosen engine. Other than the usage statistics(which are non-identifiable) there is nothing there that is a risk or privacy concern.  

Disarm Windows Media Player?  Again, right in the options, there is the ability to tell WMP not to check for updates, send usage statistics, not update media information.  I see no reason to disable any of these except maybe the usage statistics(which are non-identifiable).  You can disable the running of scripts and more, right in the options, for the super paranoid who buy into the "He-Man Microsoft Haters" or "Evil Microsoft Knows My every Move" hype.

Remove Windows Messenger?  Why?  What if you want to use it so that you can utilize all of the communication features it offers instead of a client that can IM or smiley, but no AV chat?  What privacy risk does this pose?  What security risk? Know who you are chatting to, and don't download or open anything you are unsure of. Just tell it not to run in the background, and not to start with the computer so you can use it on demand.  At best, you can patch it to not display adverts.

I could go on, but the only problem I see with privacy is if someone has an illegal copy of Windows.  I think one should examine what data is being transmitted and do a bit of research.  It is really annoying to see programs like this that rely on the uneducated paranoia and viral web hype.  if it were touted as a tweaker, and freed up resources, that is a bit different, but this one promotes itself by telling you that Microsoft is invading your privacy by offering you free automatic updates, updating your time, trying to defend against malware, checking web sites to see if they are harmful, allowing you to work on a friend's registry remotely, updating music.

Stoic Joker:
(To big to quote, but) I'm with y0himba on this one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version