ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Choose which browser will open a url from external app

<< < (3/6) > >>

lanux128:
take a look at Browser Chooser.

sri:
Thanks for the suggestion lanux. But I don't want to be provided an option to choose the browser every time a link is clicked. I am wondering if it's possible to specify application-specific browser.

lanux128:
you can forward your suggestions to the developer of "browser chooser". since he's currently working on the project, it's worth a try.

MilesAhead:
I need a way to specify the browser that will handle the opening of URLs per application.

For example I want all links in outlook to be opened in Maxthon where as links in other applications should continue to be opened w/ my default browser, Firefox.

Possible?
-sri (September 15, 2009, 01:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you've done any batch programming or are game to try it, you could probably code a few lines in AutoIt3.  There are forums where you can get help here:
http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?

The AutoIt3 tools are free.  Once you debug your script you can compile it to .exe.
The easiest way would be to set a hotkey.  Select your link or copy to clipboard and hit the hotkey.  The app would check the active window title to see if it matches apps in your list.  The pseudo code would be something like:
If active window title has "outlook" use browser a
else if active window title has notepad use browser b etc..

If you want to launch the link normally and have an .exe intercept it then you'd have to make it the default browser and that's a can of worms you probably don't need.  The hotkey scheme is the easiest.

mouser:
it's really about time someone wrote this Proxy Url Handler idea.. it's long long overdue.

let me describe the concept and the main features it needs to be done properly:

* 1. it needs to register itself as the default url handler, so it gets called every time any program opens up a url.
* 2. it needs to be take a configuration file that specify rules for what urls get opened in what browsers.
* 3. these rules need to be able to handle regular expressions on the urls themselves, and refer to the original launching application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version