ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Automatic Reg Key Backup

<< < (5/5)

lanux128:
on another note, you could also go for apps that have portable version so that you can transfer programs just by copying over to the new PC..

Nighted:
Yes, and then you could have a separate directory for your portable files so you can quickly back them up when formatting or moving them to a flash drive/other PC.

edbro:
Hopefully, that is the way of the future. For most of my favorite apps I know there is a strong push from support forum members for portability. Several apps I know of are looking towards moving to ini or xml settings files instead of reliance on the registry.

Plus, if you monitor www.portablefreeware.com, you will find that there are quite a few apps that appear to need an installation but in fact can be extracted and run portably.

lanux128:
Universal Extractor is a very good program that allows you to extract files from installation programs.

Universal Extractor allows you to extract files from many types of archive files, including ZIP, ARJ, LZH, MSI, EXE created using various installer packages such as Wise and Inno Setup etc. It is great for testing apps for portability because you can extract files directly from installer packages without having to go through the installation process.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6250.0

Darwin:
I know that Winalysis will allow you to do this, but it is shareware and offers a LOT more functionality (options to create image files of your disks, monitor for changes, etc.). I used this extensively under Win2k (when I was coveting ME and XP's sysrestore feature - this is WAY more powerful/configureable and I should probably use it under XP but have moved on to TrueImage and GenieBackUpManager Pro) and had no negative experiences with it. Note that you can monitor remote computers as well.

Here's a bit from the helpfile about monitoring/backing up registry keys:

Include or Exclude a Registry Key
Use this dialog to select a registry key to include or exclude. Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or HKEY_USERS and type in the key name. The key must exist on the target machine.

Include Subkey

Include the selected key and all keys and values below it.

Track Security Descriptors

Registry keys on Windows XP/NT/2000 have Security Descriptors that define an owner, group, DACL and SACL for the object. The DACL defines who can do what with the object. The SACL defines auditing settings for the object. There are also a number of attributes in security descriptors that control things like inheritance. Tracking Security Descriptors does not significantly slow down the program because the system will have the information in memory already.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version