ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Automatic Reg Key Backup

<< < (4/5) > >>

mikiem:
@justice
If someone doesn't want to go the reg backup routes posted, creating a new restore point will back up the registry for you. Has it's quirks, but for me over the years has worked far, far more times than it hasn't, & can be quicker to use going back.  :) ERUNT's my new fav in Vista as my dual boot setup destroys Vista restore points.

edbro:
There are lots of ways to backup the registry. But, that's not the same as backing up individual reg keys. I backup individual keys to save program registrations and preferences. Some of my programs require online activation; it is not as easy as just entering a code. (J.River Media Center for example). Plus, I can transfer my settings to another machine easily.

justice:
So which registry keys are good ones to back up? Is there a guide related to backing up registry keys for reinstallation of the OS? HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\?

edbro:
So which registry keys are good ones to back up?
-justice (June 23, 2007, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Depends on your individual software and which ones have preferences you want to save. Personally, I save:
- CrapCleaner preferences
- My DonationCoder Regkey
- J.River Media Center registration and preferences
- Several more, but you get the idea.

Some programs save data in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software. Some save data in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. And lots save in both places.

A good way to see just what gets written to the registry during an install is to use TotalUninstall. That will record changes to the registry from an install and ensures that all gets erased after an uninstall.

Nighted:
Basically any program that stores it's setting in the registry is good to backup, especially those that take a while to get just the way you want it setup.

Not all programs put their settings in the registry though, more are using or have the option to store settings in a local INI file. Still others will store all your settings in your user Application Data directory, or sometimes, depending on the program in the All Users Application Data directory (in XP anyway).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version