ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is the Windows start menu dead?

<< < (18/18)

Dormouse:
yeah, RocketDock
-Lashiec (February 09, 2008, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Grateful to you for mentioning it because it finally go me to look at docks.

What I would really like is a proper Donation Coder Review of all these progs.

I can see that they fall into two classes - keyboard based and mouse based. (I'm mostly mouse based for this sort of activity, so that is what interests me most.)

There only seems to be one class of keyboard based solution, (though that could easily be my ignorance) so they could all be compared with each other.

Then there are the different types of mouse solutions. They seem to fall into 3 categories.

* What you can do with the OS - and Carol's exposition was very clear.

* Launchbars and start menu improvements.

* Docks.
If you are going to use extra software, it does not seem worth the effort to organise the start menu in the OS etc. But it looks as if there might be some gain from using a launchbar/start menu prog (or both???) and docks.

And might well be worth using more than one dock if there is enough to put on it.

But what are the advantages and disadvantages of each prog? And what are the advantages and disadvantages of each system of use?

Have I got the time to try to investigate it all myself? No.  :'(

hpearce:
Classic Shell at sourcefourge now not only implements  a windows 8 start button but includes an option to bypass metro right to the desktop.

Classic Shell at Sourceforge

Carol Haynes:
If it isn't a silly question if you are going to install Classic Shell why bother to upgrade to 8 at all? Basically 8 is pretty much 7 with a few (AFAICS fairly minor) tweaks plus Metro.

hpearce:
If it isn't a silly question if you are going to install Classic Shell why bother to upgrade to 8 at all? Basically 8 is pretty much 7 with a few (AFAICS fairly minor) tweaks plus Metro.
-Carol Haynes (July 01, 2012, 04:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because classic shell ONLY handles the display of the menu (thru the start button)...  just one aspect of any windows OS.

And sooner or later I will need a new PC and the options for one with windows 7 will probably be small .

Carol Haynes:
OK fair enough for a new PC - but how much do you bet that the outcry will be so loud that MS will be offering downgrades to 7 like they offered XP downgrades from Vista ?? OK not immediately but I bet by February or March next year!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version