ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is the Windows start menu dead?

<< < (2/18) > >>

jgpaiva:
My only wish it to some day be able to add the Quick Launch toolbar to right-click context menus. Have seen no easy way of doing so yet.
-Eóin (June 20, 2007, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well.. the folder with the quicklaunch is located at:

--- ---C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\
Thus, placing a shortcut to that folder on your sendto menu should do it :)

Curt:
My only wish it to some day be able to add the Quick Launch toolbar to right-click context menus. Have seen no easy way of doing so yet.-Eóin (June 20, 2007, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Eóin, I use True Launch Bar, but this works with Windows Quick Launch toolbar as well:
Send To Toys (Forum)

Send To Toys is part of the context menu Send To .... Just right click any folder or program and send it to the Quick Launch Bar.

The program's folder:

The right-click menu Send To ... :

alxwz:
I happen to like the combination of the "classic" Windows 98/2000 start menu and a the quick launch bar dragged out of the task bar and running along the entire right side of my screen (used to be on the left side before, don't remember why I moved to the right).

The start menu gives me a complete overview of all the programs I have installed, while the quick launch bar gives me one-click (no subfolders) access to all the folders, programs, utilities and most important documents I use every day (in total, about 40 small icons, lined up in some useful groups). I rarely use the start menu, but once in a while I want to see the whole inventory I've got there. I tried FARR, but remembering the keyboard strokes (or names) was too tiresome for me. I do, however, use a very small handful of AutoHotkey keyboard shortcuts for some programs.

Before Win 98/2000, I used the (buggy) Office quick launch bar. With W2000, I sometimes had the problem of the (Windows, not Office) quick launch bar "stuck" inside the task bar (moveable, but not to be dragged out). The only thing that annoys me now is that it's not possible to "lock" the quick launch bar in the position at the edge of the screen (only works inside the task bar).

All the "improvements" since Win XP seem pointless to me. It would be sad to see the full start menu die. Everything that constantly changes the contents by "recently used"/"others (click here)" or the like does not really enhance usability IMHO.

mouser:
Shameless plug for my own LaunchBar Commander:

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/LaunchBarCommander/index.html

Personally, even though i use FARR, i like to have a visual display alwasys docked on my screen of my most used programs, organized into virtual sections and folders.  I also use it to show virtual folders in menus and other stuff.  (It's very similar to free launch bar / true launchbar).  I also dont like using the start menu, but i wouldnt dare be without a "launch bar" of some type.

Grorgy:
My only wish it to some day be able to add the Quick Launch toolbar to right-click context menus. Have seen no easy way of doing so yet.
--- End quote ---

Eoin, right Click from stardock will let you do the that, user defined right click, if you need the standard right click menu, ctrl right click brings it up. ( www.stardock.com )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version