ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is the Windows start menu dead?

<< < (11/18) > >>

BinderDundat:
For me the Start Menu is a bit like a catalogue.  There are programs in there that I use so infrequently that I don't remember their names.  Being able to look at the icons and file names lets me visually sort through the stuff I have in storage.  I have made a bunch of categories that help finding programs and I have extracted the useful executable onto the category's top level, with the program's install folder given a number for the rare occasions when it is useful (so as not to conflict with initial key navigation of the menus).  I also have a number of commonly used programs that are accessed via the initial keys.  (winkey), p, o, e launches Excel.  I don't use Excel every day, but often enough that I remember the shortcut.  Likewise there are a bunch of top-level entries that are there right away: (winkey), 1 opens my browser; (winkey) 2 opens Nero; (winkey) 4 opens my password manager and so on.  If for some reason, I want to open my video editing software (I haven't used it other than to explore the interface a couple of times) I can open programs and video and see what's in there.  Look at the attachment for my setup.  Please ignore the first image.  For some reason the screen capture utility didn't see the Start Menu, so I had to do it the hard way (printscreen and paste etc)

sri:
I just saw this thread and wanted to add my opinion.

To me, the windows start menu is dead. It's useless now that there are excellent applications ike Launchy/FARR. I use Launchy and LaunchOnFly (last free version) for file/folder/program launching.

Josh:
Actually, I have to say that the start menu is even more useful to me now in vista. I simply hit the windows logo key, type what I am looking for, and its found in the start menu. I can even do folder browsing like in farr. The Vista start menu has impressed me. I love it

Darwin:
Actually, I have to say that the start menu is even more useful to me now in vista. I simply hit the windows logo key, type what I am looking for, and its found in the start menu. I can even do folder browsing like in farr. The Vista start menu has impressed me. I love it
-Josh (September 23, 2007, 02:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is why the Vista Start Menu is so great for Windows XP users!

Armando:
[off-topic]Personally, if you give me the choice between Vista Start Meny and farr... especially with the new locate32 plug in...[/off-topic]  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version