ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is the Windows start menu dead?

<< < (4/18) > >>

Eóin:
As a followup, right click from stardock could do exactly what I wanted. But unfortunately the program was too pervasive for my tastes.

So good software, but just not for me :)

nite_monkey:
I don't use the start menu anymore, now that I went through and organized all the shortcuts in the start menu and on the desktop into folders on the desktop. now all I have to do is click on the desktop tool bar that I have on the task bar and navigate to the program I want to run.

Curt:
Here is my task bar ...-Carol Haynes (June 21, 2007, 03:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I thank you, Carol, for these thorough directions, but I will have to say that your task bar just might be the very/scary reason I will seek another solution...  :P

Please forgive me!   :-*

Anyway; I have True Launch Bar with most of my shortcuts within a single click's reach:

app103:
Two of the very first applications I ever created were for organizing shortcuts and cleaning up your desktop.

They could be useful for avoiding the start menu as well.

The first is ClutterBuster. It holds 100 application shortcuts.

screenshot:

The second, Programmers Toolbox, is basically the same but a bit more specialized. It only holds 50 shortcuts and is aimed at programmers and web designers.

screenshot:

Both of these will only create application shortcuts (.exe) and the application must have an icon in the .exe file or the button will be blank. the buttons will show a tooltop on hover for the file associated with it.

All you have to do is right click a blank button, find the .exe file you want to associate with it and select it. Once you have it set up the way you like, close it and it will save your button preferences to an .ini file.

You can manually edit that .ini file in notepad if you would like to remove a button association and have a blank button, rather than change it to point to another application.

This can also be used on a thumbdrive, as it will accept a relative path to an .exe file. (you will have to manually edit the .ini file to do this though)

tinjaw:
I don't think the start menu is dead, per se. I would describe it more as the start menu taking a less prominent role. I think it still serves a good purpose as a way to see everything you have on a particular system. Especially if the computer is one you are not familiar with, like say a friend's computer you are using or a computer assigned to you at work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version