ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop

<< < (8/10) > >>

zajc:
Is it possible to "link" XP to Vista in the same way?
-zajc (December 19, 2007, 02:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

It is possible (at least I think it is, I don't own Vista to test it on), although you will want to use VirtualBox to virtualize XP. The latest version of VirtualBox will allow Windows running in the virtual machine display its windows on the main desktop (seamless mode).  For example, that's how I'm now running XP and Ubuntu Gusty. Gusty is now the main OS (with its Gnome panels at the bottom). I run XP in a VirtualBox VM that displays the Windows task bar at the top of the screen.  This all works something like running Parallels with XP on a Mac -- only VirtualBox is free.

It's not perfect yet, but it is very usable.

-rssapphire (December 19, 2007, 08:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you

I'm truly very impressed with VirtualBox. This software is what I always want, free and "seamless mode" is excellent. For example I was working on a virtual machine in seamless mode convinced that I'm working on primary machine. It is much faster than Virtual PC (restarting XP takes only a couple of seconds).

I attached printscreen how Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit works together :)

Carol Haynes:
If you use a multi desktop manager can you put one OS on one desktop and the other on another (or alternative just a single mouse click to swap full screen OSes)?

Also suppose you want to run more than one OS in seamless mode - what flexibility is there on where Taskbars go (it could get quite confusing!)?

Shame they can't integrate to share task bars ...

rssapphire:
If you use a multi desktop manager can you put one OS on one desktop and the other on another (or alternative just a single mouse click to swap full screen OSes)?-Carol Haynes (December 20, 2007, 11:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have never figured out a way to do this full screen as all the VMs I've tried take over all the key presses so one you switch to the VM screen, there is no easy way to switch to the other screens.

Also suppose you want to run more than one OS in seamless mode - what flexibility is there on where Taskbars go (it could get quite confusing!)?
--- End quote ---

Virtualbox in seamless will display the VM's taskbar whereever it is on the VM's screen.

Shame they can't integrate to share task bars ...

--- End quote ---

This is the first version of Virtualbox that will run Windows in seamless mode.  I can think of ways to improve the integration. I suspect some of these (and others I haven't thought of) will appear in future versions.

vixay:
Anyone want to post a new guide for me? Got a new laptop and wanted to try this, isn't there a nice portable solution for this?
Three choices so far

* Cygwin
* CoLinux
* Xming + VMWare/Virtualbox
Which one works now?

xtabber:
FWIW, the latest version of VMware Workstation is 6.5 and it provides a nice "Unity" mode. which allows applications in a guest VM to appear as if running on the host system. Since Unity mode and multiple VMs are also supported in VM Player 6.5, you can create multiple VMs on one system with Workstation installed and run them on other systems with just the Player installed, eliminating the need for multiple Workstation licenses.

My experience is that the more RAM the better with WS. I run on a 3Ghz P4 with 3GB RAM and XP Pro SP2 and while it takes WS over a minute to start up, once it is running, there is very little degradation in performance and VMs start up quickly. Having plenty of RAM allows you to reserve a good amount for your VMs to run in and and disallow swapping on the host system. VMs can also be kept running and accessed after closing WS on the host, although I haven't used that feature myself.

For all the new goodies in WS 6.5, see: https://www.vmware.com/support/ws65/doc/releasenotes_ws65.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version