ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop

<< < (6/10) > >>

rssapphire:
Summary for quick review, understanding & implementation: (your post is hard to scan quickly for info)

* Get a PC (with >1 GB RAM)
* Install Windows XP SP2 (Vista untested)
* Install VMWare (workstation or server)
* Install Ubuntu/Your flavor of unix in VMWare
* Setup VMWare networking correctly (How?)
* Install X-server for windows (xming)
* Setup your win X-server to use VM ubuntu (How?) (this is the innovative part!)
* Install KDE Kicker? to launch apps from windows-vixay (July 17, 2007, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

RAM: It will work with under one meg of memory -- just not well enough to use full time (IMHO). Before I upgraded to one gig, I ran Kubuntu Dapper Drake in a 256 meg VM with 768 megs of RAM. Windows graphics programs had trouble. I expect any heavy ram user Windows program would.

Networking: "How" depends on your setup and your choices. For mine (wired home network with a D-Link Router), I set up bridged networking in the VM. I ran the VM and booted Linux so D-Link would get the VM's MAC address and assign it a dynamic IP.  I then went into D-Link's Admin area and associated that IP permanently with the VM's MAC address (making it effectively static without having to manually fiddle with the Linux networking setup -- linux is still using out of the box dhcp, it just always get a fixed IP address assigned by the router).  There are a least a dozen different ways to set something like this up with VMWare. :(

[X-server setup] This sounds hard, but it really isn't. You create a shortcut to Xming with the long line of paramaters I listed (put a space after the ....exe and paste them in.  Drag the shortcut to your startup folder so it starts with Windows and it is ready to go.

So is that all correct? Any better ideas? or want to flesh it out more... to make it like a guide... :)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much: It does need fleshing out and alternatives explained. I'll be working on that for my new XPLinux web site -- and posting an condensed update here.

Anyway after reading your post i revisited powerpro & tlb...
didn't see anything very useful with TLB... maybe i just don't know how to use it or how it is better than the default quick launch
--- End quote ---

For most people, it may not be better. TLB is just far more configurable that putting a folder in quicklaunch. I would not like my system as much without it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

as for powerpro, it interferes with stroke it... and it's cumbersome and complicated to use... i am sure it's great once setup correctly, but setting it up correctly takes ages!
--- End quote ---

LOL. Powerpro is one of the most complex Windows utility programs around. I really don't notice the complexity much as I started using the program with the old Windows 3.1 version (then called Stiletto) about 15 years ago. The feature set and complexity has increased slowly over the years, making it much easier to learn.  This does not help someone just picking it up today, however.

Feel free to take this post, expand on it and put it in the 1st post :)
--- End quote ---

Thank you! I will do that ASAP.

Also i had a question about your setup then.... where do you install the applications you want to use? in the VM or windows?
--- End quote ---

Linux programs are installed in the VM. You can run synaptic in Windows (via the VM) to install just about anything you like.

and what is the real benefit? can you work on a project (the same files) using both unix and win then? (cygwin can)
--- End quote ---

Using VMWAre Workstation you easily can. I have both of my disk drives set up as shared. From Linux they show up as /mnt/hgfs/win and /mnt/hgfs/old. I can easily work on a file stored on my real drives with a Linux program. I do it all the time. (I don't know if VMWare server has this ability.)

The main advantages over Cygwin is the huge number of Linux programs available for immediate use and the fact that they are running on a real Linux system.

rssapphire:
can you work on a project (the same files) using both unix and win then ? (cygwin can)
-vixay (July 17, 2007, 07:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

To expand on this a bit....

I've been experimenting this afternoon with a way to create icons for Linux programs on the windows desktop (via a Perl daemon program on the Linux VM and an autohotkey program the icon runs that sends a filename to be launched to said daemon via tcp). It's not ready for prime time yet, but I have it working well enough that clicking the icon on the Windows desktop starts the Linux program. Better yet, if you drag a file (from the windows drive) to the icon, it starts the program with that file as a parameter. For example, dragging a text file from Windows Explorer to the Kate icon opens  Kate (running in the VM) on my Windows desktop with the text file from my windows drive open and ready for editing.

tonsofpcs:
Why use VMWare when you can use colinux?

f0dder:
coLinux hasn't been updated for a while, and requires driverstuff.. it's a very interesting project, but imho it's not yet for the faint of heart.

rssapphire:
Why use VMWare when you can use colinux?
-tonsofpcs (July 17, 2007, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have never been able to get colinux to work reliably on my system. There's always some major problem. For example, the latest version works fine for a (variable) while then starts writing to the disk and will not stop without a forced reboot (the hold down the power button type).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version