ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop

<< < (5/10) > >>

xbeta:
I translated some of this post into Chinese.
see http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/46dac66f01000aow

vixay:
Why not use a dual screen setup? With Linux on one and WinXP on the other? That way you'd literally have two OS's on a the same time :).
Another interesting setup would be to have th LiveCDS boot in windows itself, so you can have risk-free linux when you want.... and if on flash drive then you can save data  too...

rssapphire:
Why bother with SSH encryption when you're running the X server on the same machine as the VMware guest, though? Why not just connect directly?-f0dder (July 11, 2007, 06:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

This works for all programs on my system and connecting directly did not work with some Gnome/GTK programs. I'd just get a window full of gray. Someday when I have time I'll try to see what the problem is. However, I really did not notice much speed difference between a SSH connection and connecting directly -- which sort of amazed me.

Something that looks very interesting is parallels coherence...
--- End quote ---

It seems to only work for Macs running Windows in a VM -- but even I ever get a Mac, you can bet I will be giving Parallels a hard look.

rssapphire:
Why not use a dual screen setup? With Linux on one and WinXP on the other?-vixay (July 11, 2007, 11:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

Lack of space for a second monitor, unfortunately. :(

Another interesting setup would be to have th LiveCDS boot in windows itself, so you can have risk-free linux when you want.... and if on flash drive then you can save data  too...
--- End quote ---

You can't use Windows and Linux programs at the same time that way. However, that's a great way to try Linux and I always keep a Linux LiveCD on hand for trying to repair borked Windows setups -- or least getting all the new since my last backup data off the drive if only a complete reinstall will repair Windows.

vixay:
Summary for quick review, understanding & implementation: (your post is hard to scan quickly for info)

* Get a PC (with >1 GB RAM)
* Install Windows XP SP2 (Vista untested)
* Install VMWare (workstation or server)
* Install Ubuntu/Your flavor of unix in VMWare
* Setup VMWare networking correctly (How?)
* Install X-server for windows (xming)
* Setup your win X-server to use VM ubuntu (How?) (this is the innovative part!)
* Install KDE Kicker? to launch apps from windows
Pros:

* Use Unix apps from native unix environment in Windows
* Use unix & win apps simultaenously
* Experiment with linux, risk free! (can reset VM)Cons:

* Not as fast as dual booting (but then lacks running both OS program simultaenously
* Overhead of running VM
Alternatives:

* Cygwin
* Dual-booting with different partitions/hdds
* Wubi for easy dual booting setup :)

So is that all correct? Any better ideas? or want to flesh it out more... to make it like a guide... :)

Optional Goodies:

* Windowblinds
* powerpro
* true launchbar
Anyway after reading your post i revisited powerpro & tlb...
didn't see anything very useful with TLB... maybe i just don't know how to use it or how it is better than the default quick launch

as for powerpro, it interferes with stroke it... and it's cumbersome and complicated to use... i am sure it's great once setup correctly, but setting it up correctly takes ages!

Feel free to take this post, expand on it and put it in the 1st post :)

Also i had a question about your setup then.... where do you install the applications you want to use? in the VM or windows? and what is the real benefit? can you work on a project (the same files) using both unix and win then ? (cygwin can)
So far the real benefit I see is that you get a VM HOSTED OS rather than an EMULATED LINUX (cygwin).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version