ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop

<< < (3/10) > >>

rssapphire:
Hey, what skin is that? I like it
-argv (July 10, 2007, 11:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's the Ecliz_Deluxe_Tranz scheme of the Ecliz_Deluxe2 skin for Windowblinds.

argv:
Thanks for those links Zaine, but I am more interested in how to run Linux and Windows concurrently on the same desktop.

I know how to set up a dual booting system (I have done it many times before) but it isn't an option for me in this case as I can't get Linux in native mode to behave with my WiFi hardware.
-Carol Haynes (July 11, 2007, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

For the wifi in linux you may want to check this link: http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/

To run Linux and Windows concurrently on the same desktop you can use vmware; I'm working into a similar environment: winxp  + vmware/redhat + xming. It works well.
You must install either vmware or another virtualisation software (you might find even some opensources versions) Personally I prefer vmware because it allows me to boot the linux installed on my real harddisk. I have a dual boot, so I have the choice to boot linux either natively or using vmware. I have tested other virtualisation applications but none allows you to boot the OS installed on the real partition. You have to install Linux on a simulated disk; but I found that slows down considerably.

rssapphire:
Could you help the ignorant among us and tell us how you set up running Linux and Windows on the same desktop.
-Carol Haynes (July 10, 2007, 12:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm going to assume you have VMWare Workstation (although you should be able to get this working with the freeware Player or Server as well) and that you have a wired network using a D-Link Router.  With luck I will not leave out any important steps.

1) Install VMWare.

2) Download the ISO for the Ubuntu variant you want to install. I used Kubuntu.

3) Create a VMWare virtual machine (I gave mine 384K of RAM and a 20 gig drive -- you don't want to go much smaller on the RAM, at least until after installing Linux) with the Ubuntu ISO mounted as the CD-ROM.  I used bridged networking to give the VM its own IP address on my home LAN.

4) Boot The VM and install Ubuntu.

5) Activate sshd in the new Ubuntu install. Be sure it is set up to forward X.

6) Using your router, assign a static address to the VM -- I just permanently assign the IP the router initially gave it. (If you don't have a D-Link router, this step can be much more complex.)  Reboot you VM and be sure Linux is using the assigned static IP. For these notes I'll assume 192.168.0.102

7) Optional: Create a new account in the Linux VM to use when you log in from windows. For these notes, I'll use "xplinux" for the username and "badpass" for the password. Log in to this account at least once from the VM before using it so it is completely set up.

8) Install Xming on your XP (the font package too) and be sure it is running.  I start mine with these switches:

:0 -dpi 85 -ac -clipboard -c -multiwindow -reset -terminate -unixkill -logfile Xming.log

9) Install PuTTY on your Windows machine.

10) Use plink.exe from the command line (or run box) to connect to your running VM:

C:\Program Files\PuTTY\plink.exe -ssh -X -C -pw badpass [email protected] kicker

This will run the "Kicker" bar and it should appear (probably over or under your windows taskbar)

zridling:
Ah, thanks for the correction, Carol. Yea, VMware is the way to go if possible. Version 6 works great.

Laughing Man:
Ooh.. nice. I may try this sometmie! Though I do like Compiz Fusion alot and I doubt it would work this way. Although it's alot of special effects, there are some things that do help me with usability for some odd reason. Well that and Dr. Watson seems to like to torment me randomly on Windows XP. >.<

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version