topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: "XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop  (Read 66500 times)

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: "XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 10:13 AM »
Summary for quick review, understanding & implementation: (your post is hard to scan quickly for info)
  • Get a PC (with >1 GB RAM)
  • Install Windows XP SP2 (Vista untested)
  • Install VMWare (workstation or server)
  • Install Ubuntu/Your flavor of unix in VMWare
  • Setup VMWare networking correctly (How?)
  • Install X-server for windows (xming)
  • Setup your win X-server to use VM ubuntu (How?) (this is the innovative part!)
  • Install KDE Kicker? to launch apps from windows

RAM: It will work with under one meg of memory -- just not well enough to use full time (IMHO). Before I upgraded to one gig, I ran Kubuntu Dapper Drake in a 256 meg VM with 768 megs of RAM. Windows graphics programs had trouble. I expect any heavy ram user Windows program would.

Networking: "How" depends on your setup and your choices. For mine (wired home network with a D-Link Router), I set up bridged networking in the VM. I ran the VM and booted Linux so D-Link would get the VM's MAC address and assign it a dynamic IP.  I then went into D-Link's Admin area and associated that IP permanently with the VM's MAC address (making it effectively static without having to manually fiddle with the Linux networking setup -- linux is still using out of the box dhcp, it just always get a fixed IP address assigned by the router).  There are a least a dozen different ways to set something like this up with VMWare. :(

[X-server setup] This sounds hard, but it really isn't. You create a shortcut to Xming with the long line of paramaters I listed (put a space after the ....exe and paste them in.  Drag the shortcut to your startup folder so it starts with Windows and it is ready to go.

So is that all correct? Any better ideas? or want to flesh it out more... to make it like a guide... :)

Pretty much: It does need fleshing out and alternatives explained. I'll be working on that for my new XPLinux web site -- and posting an condensed update here.

Anyway after reading your post i revisited powerpro & tlb...
didn't see anything very useful with TLB... maybe i just don't know how to use it or how it is better than the default quick launch

For most people, it may not be better. TLB is just far more configurable that putting a folder in quicklaunch. I would not like my system as much without it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

as for powerpro, it interferes with stroke it... and it's cumbersome and complicated to use... i am sure it's great once setup correctly, but setting it up correctly takes ages!

LOL. Powerpro is one of the most complex Windows utility programs around. I really don't notice the complexity much as I started using the program with the old Windows 3.1 version (then called Stiletto) about 15 years ago. The feature set and complexity has increased slowly over the years, making it much easier to learn.  This does not help someone just picking it up today, however.

Feel free to take this post, expand on it and put it in the 1st post :)

Thank you! I will do that ASAP.

Also i had a question about your setup then.... where do you install the applications you want to use? in the VM or windows?

Linux programs are installed in the VM. You can run synaptic in Windows (via the VM) to install just about anything you like.

and what is the real benefit? can you work on a project (the same files) using both unix and win then? (cygwin can)

Using VMWAre Workstation you easily can. I have both of my disk drives set up as shared. From Linux they show up as /mnt/hgfs/win and /mnt/hgfs/old. I can easily work on a file stored on my real drives with a Linux program. I do it all the time. (I don't know if VMWare server has this ability.)

The main advantages over Cygwin is the huge number of Linux programs available for immediate use and the fact that they are running on a real Linux system.
RetroRoleplaying -- Tabletop Roleplaying Games Before D20
Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 05:44 PM »
can you work on a project (the same files) using both unix and win then ? (cygwin can)

To expand on this a bit....

I've been experimenting this afternoon with a way to create icons for Linux programs on the windows desktop (via a Perl daemon program on the Linux VM and an autohotkey program the icon runs that sends a filename to be launched to said daemon via tcp). It's not ready for prime time yet, but I have it working well enough that clicking the icon on the Windows desktop starts the Linux program. Better yet, if you drag a file (from the windows drive) to the icon, it starts the program with that file as a parameter. For example, dragging a text file from Windows Explorer to the Kate icon opens  Kate (running in the VM) on my Windows desktop with the text file from my windows drive open and ready for editing.

tonsofpcs

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Video Tech
    • View Profile
    • Video Production Support
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 05:52 PM »
Why use VMWare when you can use colinux?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 07:07 PM »
coLinux hasn't been updated for a while, and requires driverstuff.. it's a very interesting project, but imho it's not yet for the faint of heart.
- carpe noctem

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 08:59 PM »
Why use VMWare when you can use colinux?

I have never been able to get colinux to work reliably on my system. There's always some major problem. For example, the latest version works fine for a (variable) while then starts writing to the disk and will not stop without a forced reboot (the hold down the power button type).

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2007, 10:23 PM »
Okay, this is really cool.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 03:03 AM »
Ok the cygwin alternative is really easy...

just go to http://www.cygwin.com
install
you are ready to rol!
go to http://delicious.com/popular/cygwin
Read
You are good to go

same benefits for a windows user, but a unix user will find the limitations bothersome.
I use it primarily for emacs (which can be had independently as well, xemacs and all)... and playing around with unix and shell

though powershell is the new CLI to learn apparently :)
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:56 PM by mouser »

zajc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 02:25 AM »
It may be off topic  :-[

Is it possible to "link" XP to Vista in the same way?

For example:

Vista 64-bit is running Virtual PC where XP 32-bit is installed. I would like to start an application from Vista via Virtual PC.

Why I'm asking. Usually I have opened more then 30 windows in Vista, and 10 windows in Virtual PC. Switching between this windows is a nightmare. Actually I would like to get rid of Virtual PC but software is not working correctly in Vista :(

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 08:14 PM »

It is possible (at least I think it is, I don't own Vista to test it on), although you will want to use VirtualBox to virtualize XP. The latest version of VirtualBox will allow Windows running in the virtual machine display its windows on the main desktop (seamless mode).  For example, that's how I'm now running XP and Ubuntu Gusty. Gusty is now the main OS (with its Gnome panels at the bottom). I run XP in a VirtualBox VM that displays the Windows task bar at the top of the screen.  This all works something like running Parallels with XP on a Mac -- only VirtualBox is free.

It's not perfect yet, but it is very usable.

dlagesse1992

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
  • someonestolemyname
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 11:54 PM »
That is the best integration I've seen so far!
I'm impressed. Bookmarking this in case I ever get bored. One of these days I'll try and run my ubuntu (gnome) partition in vmware...

Right now, it just works.

Daniel

zajc

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2007, 10:10 AM »

It is possible (at least I think it is, I don't own Vista to test it on), although you will want to use VirtualBox to virtualize XP. The latest version of VirtualBox will allow Windows running in the virtual machine display its windows on the main desktop (seamless mode).  For example, that's how I'm now running XP and Ubuntu Gusty. Gusty is now the main OS (with its Gnome panels at the bottom). I run XP in a VirtualBox VM that displays the Windows task bar at the top of the screen.  This all works something like running Parallels with XP on a Mac -- only VirtualBox is free.

It's not perfect yet, but it is very usable.

Thank you

I'm truly very impressed with VirtualBox. This software is what I always want, free and "seamless mode" is excellent. For example I was working on a virtual machine in seamless mode convinced that I'm working on primary machine. It is much faster than Virtual PC (restarting XP takes only a couple of seconds).

I attached printscreen how Vista 64-bit and XP 32-bit works together :)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2007, 11:12 AM »
If you use a multi desktop manager can you put one OS on one desktop and the other on another (or alternative just a single mouse click to swap full screen OSes)?

Also suppose you want to run more than one OS in seamless mode - what flexibility is there on where Taskbars go (it could get quite confusing!)?

Shame they can't integrate to share task bars ...

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2007, 05:54 PM »
If you use a multi desktop manager can you put one OS on one desktop and the other on another (or alternative just a single mouse click to swap full screen OSes)?

I have never figured out a way to do this full screen as all the VMs I've tried take over all the key presses so one you switch to the VM screen, there is no easy way to switch to the other screens.

Also suppose you want to run more than one OS in seamless mode - what flexibility is there on where Taskbars go (it could get quite confusing!)?

Virtualbox in seamless will display the VM's taskbar whereever it is on the VM's screen.

Shame they can't integrate to share task bars ...

This is the first version of Virtualbox that will run Windows in seamless mode.  I can think of ways to improve the integration. I suspect some of these (and others I haven't thought of) will appear in future versions.

vixay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • ViXaY
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13 AM »
Anyone want to post a new guide for me? Got a new laptop and wanted to try this, isn't there a nice portable solution for this?
Three choices so far

• Cygwin
  • CoLinux
  • Xming + VMWare/Virtualbox

Which one works now?
"Drunk on the Nectar of Life!" -me

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 10:29 PM »
FWIW, the latest version of VMware Workstation is 6.5 and it provides a nice "Unity" mode. which allows applications in a guest VM to appear as if running on the host system. Since Unity mode and multiple VMs are also supported in VM Player 6.5, you can create multiple VMs on one system with Workstation installed and run them on other systems with just the Player installed, eliminating the need for multiple Workstation licenses.

My experience is that the more RAM the better with WS. I run on a 3Ghz P4 with 3GB RAM and XP Pro SP2 and while it takes WS over a minute to start up, once it is running, there is very little degradation in performance and VMs start up quickly. Having plenty of RAM allows you to reserve a good amount for your VMs to run in and and disallow swapping on the host system. VMs can also be kept running and accessed after closing WS on the host, although I haven't used that feature myself.

For all the new goodies in WS 6.5, see: https://www.vmware.c...leasenotes_ws65.html

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2008, 05:31 PM »
I tried andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/) and I kinda like how easy it was to setup... I might write a full review if anyone's interested.

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2008, 08:03 PM »
Thanks for the offer !!!!
... and perhaps a how-to; because I never got it working myself.  :(

I tried andLinux (http://www.andlinux.org/) and I kinda like how easy it was to setup... I might write a full review if anyone's interested.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 08:28 PM by fenixproductions »

Lutz_

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 11:43 AM »
Thanks fenixproductions,
the lifehacker guide is indeed helpful !

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 12:11 PM »
Thanks for the offer !!!!
... and perhaps a how-to; because I never got it working myself.  :(

Micro-howto:
A) grab http://downloads.sou...ux-beta1-minimal.exe
B) Run the installer
    Accept the agreement [NEXT]
    Select installation dir. [NEXT]
    Assign RAM (256mb for me) [NEXT]
    Enable Sound [NEXT]
    Run andLinux manually as an NT Service + use XFCE PANEL [NEXT]
    Use CoFS [NEXT]
    Select shared folder [NEXT]
    [NEXT]
    Create desktop icons for Colinux Console FLTK
    Install
    Reboot
    Start andLinux
    Profit!

Dibujo.jpg"XPLinux" Running Windows XP and Kubuntu on one joint desktop
andLinux running happily on Vista Ultimate

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2009, 05:35 AM »
If anyone's interested Parallels is apparently giving away version 2.2 of Parallels Workstation (the latest version as far as I can tell) for free!

Go here!

I filled out the form (name, e-mail, company, and phone) and got the following email almost immediately...
Dear [Hirudin],

Thank you for your interest in Parallels Workstation 2.2!

Your permanent activation key is listed below:

PRODUCT : Parallels Workstation 2.2 for Windows & Linux

ACTIVATION KEY : 3[XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX]
I don't know how long this will be going on, so act soon!

I found out about this on this slickdeals.net thread...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 05:37 AM by Hirudin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2009, 08:22 AM »
Thanks, Hirudin - just received my key  :Thmbsup:

rssapphire

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 03:23 PM »

I've had to move back to XP as my primary OS for a few months and decided to give coLinux another try. I downloaded the beta2 version of AndLinux (based on Ubuntu 9.04, the KDE version) and found that they finally have whatever bug was sending my system into disk write never-never land fixed. AndLinux is working great here. Far better than my old XP running Ubuntu in a VMWare virtual machine (or Ubuntu running XP in Virtualbox) ever did.